Replacing cabin air filter - Nissan Altima

Old 03-02-08, 09:18 AM
Replacing cabin air filter - Nissan Altima

I would like to know if someone here has instructions on how to replace Cabin air filter on a Nissan Altima.
Is it a good idea to do it yourself? It has never been changed in 5 years.
I tried reading the manual, but it talks about removing hinges and I found two hinges below the golve box but could notremove them.

Thanks.

Last edited by stuck_old_house; 03-02-08 at 04:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-08, 02:40 PM
Doable!

I have a 2006 Altima. I went to dealer for a 9.95 oil change special and they tried talking me into 15000 mile service for 129.99-- oil change, inspection, tire rotation, and in cabin filter replacement. I told them that I would pass. Service manager brought out the in-cabin filter to show me the dirt that was accumulated. I was surprised, but still denied the service. I ordered an air filter from ebay (under $20 shipped) and set out to replace it myself- instuctions are in the manual. I had to position myself a bit awkward on the floor to get to the pins, but I managed just fine. My hinge pins are black plastic-- I do have to say that I was a bit nervous that I may break them-- I couldn't really pull them out, so I used a flat screwdriver as leverage to help pull/push them out a bit and then removed with my fingers. I then opened the glove box and removed the cover to the filter- also using the screwdriver for a bit of leverage on the two tabs that I had to open. When I pulled out the filter, I decided that it did not need replaced at all! I did hit it a couple of times to remove any loose dirt that I could and to get some small pieces of pine needles out. I wonder if the filter the service tech showed me was mine! My filter is with carbon activation also, sooo maybe with a quick look I thought that the 'darkness' of the filter was dirt and did not realize that it was just the filter color. I will really never know. But I do know that I would not pay 129.99 for what I really got for $30 -- well I didn't have the tires rotated (but I did have that recently done!).

Good luck!
Becky

Old 03-05-08, 04:53 PM
Thanks for replying. That was encouraging. I will try it this weekend. The toughest part is the hinges. Mine are also black plastic, located under the glove box, evenly placed from the center. I know they move (I have tried moving forward and backward a little), but do they come out completely? Did you apply force towards yourself or away (in the direction where the engine is?)

Originally Posted by junegem13 View Post
I have a 2006 Altima. I went to dealer for a 9.95 oil change special and they tried talking me into 15000 mile service for 129.99-- oil change, inspection, tire rotation, and in cabin filter replacement. I told them that I would pass. Service manager brought out the in-cabin filter to show me the dirt that was accumulated. I was surprised, but still denied the service. I ordered an air filter from ebay (under $20 shipped) and set out to replace it myself- instuctions are in the manual. I had to position myself a bit awkward on the floor to get to the pins, but I managed just fine. My hinge pins are black plastic-- I do have to say that I was a bit nervous that I may break them-- I couldn't really pull them out, so I used a flat screwdriver as leverage to help pull/push them out a bit and then removed with my fingers. I then opened the glove box and removed the cover to the filter- also using the screwdriver for a bit of leverage on the two tabs that I had to open. When I pulled out the filter, I decided that it did not need replaced at all! I did hit it a couple of times to remove any loose dirt that I could and to get some small pieces of pine needles out. I wonder if the filter the service tech showed me was mine! My filter is with carbon activation also, sooo maybe with a quick look I thought that the 'darkness' of the filter was dirt and did not realize that it was just the filter color. I will really never know. But I do know that I would not pay 129.99 for what I really got for $30 -- well I didn't have the tires rotated (but I did have that recently done!).

Good luck!
Becky

Old 03-05-08, 04:56 PM
Oh by the way, if they try to talk you into changing the air filter (for the engine), that is even simpler than this.
You won't need a single tool to do it yourself. If you need to do it, let me know and I'll post the instructions.

Old 03-06-08, 06:57 AM
Group Moderator
FWIW the $9.95 oil change is just a come-on to get you in the door where they have a shot on selling you more services where they can make back their money. The Quickie Lube places been doing it for decades. Engine air filters are a common up-sell. Only takes a couple thousand miles for a nice clean white filter to turn gray; this discoloration is often sold as "dirty and needs replacing" even though the filter may have thousands of miles in usable life lfet on it.

Old 03-06-08, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator
Isn't that the truth tow guy.
Wife was leaving on a pretty long trip, I didn't have time for more than the basics (air filter, wipers, check fluids) but I wanted the oil changed before she left, so ran it down to "jiffyquicksuperfast lube". They came out front and showed me a pretty dirty air filter, said they could replace for about $20 (?). My only comment was "hmm, strange, the filter I put in last week was orange, not black." OOPS, manager grabbed the employee, hustled him out back, came back and apoligized to me, gave me 2 free changes, said the kid was new and trying too hard to upsell. Guess they didn't expect a guy in a suit (at the time) to be doing his own maintenance.

Gave the freebie coupon to a neighbor with a word of warning.

Old 03-06-08, 12:36 PM
On the subject of quick-lube places.. several years ago, when i thought these places had some help that could do the basic stuff,i was in for a oil change.
The "technician" approached me after the oil change ,and said i had a parking light out in my truck. O.K.what the H...,change it.About 15 minutes late the clown comes to me with the story that he has to remove the grill to change the bulb,and that would cost extra. .......... Yeah,right!! it was the last time i went to one of these places.
I wish people would stay away from these places.

Old 03-04-09, 04:27 PM
i know this post is almost EXACTLY a year later... but i have the same problem.
went to the jiffyfastsuperlube and the guy opened the glovebox, opened the door to the cabin filter and took it out. when i saw how distusting this thing was, i called my friend at the parts store... he had one for $13 bucks. tech tried to sell me one for $40. i got the filter, got home, and could not for the life of me figure out how to get the door open.
i keep reading all these posts about "open the door", but nobody says HOW to open said door, lol.
help a brother out DIY

Old 03-04-09, 05:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your owners manual will tell you, no? Most of the time, you gotta remove the glove box door.

Old 03-28-09, 06:14 PM
i doubt the owners manual will explain, but i'll check.
the glove box door does not need to be removed, i just can't figure out HOW to get the cabin filter door open

Old 08-15-09, 09:27 AM
The quick Oil Change places always ask but don't fall for the $59 fuel filter replacement on the Altima, its in the gas tank and not recommended for replacement "Ever."

Old 09-29-09, 03:45 PM
who mentioned anything about a fuel filter?????

Old 12-22-10, 02:57 AM
nissan altima air filter questions

I saw some info on changing a cabin air filter on a Nissan Altima (2006) what about the regular air filter. Difficult?My dealer wants $26.95. And $69.95 for the cabin filter.
Thanks

Old 05-22-12, 12:38 AM
Video!!!

How to replace in cabin air filter Nissan Altima 2005 - YouTube

this explains installation for a 2005 altima. i found it very helpful.

Old 05-29-13, 03:30 PM
2001-2006 Nissan Altima Cabin Air Filter Replacement

It can be done much easier. You don't need to tear apart the whole panel.
It can be done in under 2 minutes if you do it right:

Cabin Air Filter Replacement Done Right - Fast & Easy 2 Minutes Only - Nissan Altima - YouTube