99 Durango Compressor Squeal

Old 03-04-08, 04:49 PM
Unhappy 99 Durango Compressor Squeal

Loud squeal from under hood yesterday. Stopped and then started again this morning. I think it is from the A/C compressor. Any suggestions for a DIY remedy. About to get rid of this vehicle so don't want to pour a lot of money into it if not necessary. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-08, 11:09 AM
Did you try tightening belt? Spray a little belt dressing ?, possibly new belt not too expensive.

Old 03-05-08, 11:17 AM
I haven't, BUT I did notice this morning that the tension wheel isn't applying much pressure to the belt so maybe it isn't tight enough. Any way to crank up the tension on this? Is this a part that fails? I called the shop this morning and replacing compressor and associated parts cost more than the vehicle is worth.........uggg

Old 03-05-08, 12:30 PM
Is the belt tensioner a spring loaded variety? Not uncommon for the tensioner spring to fail. Not that much to replace.

Old 03-05-08, 01:54 PM
Yes, it is spring loaded. Probably a dealer part...doubt they would have that at NAPA. I'll make some calls and see what I can find. Thanks for the tip.

Old 03-05-08, 04:23 PM
Group Moderator
All the major parts houses will carry tensioners. Also the bearing for the pulley on the tensioner (and/or the idler) may be bad; they fail at least as often as the entire tensioner. Relieve tension on the belt and see if they spin freely and quietly without any binding or excesive play.

Old 03-06-08, 10:34 AM
Thanks. About half at AutoZone that it was at the dealer! Saved me $60+ and they have it in stock!