Concealed Red and Blue Lights?

Old 03-05-08, 11:07 AM
Concealed Red and Blue Lights?

I didn't really know where to ask this question. I have a show/drag truck (It is also a street driver as well) I want to put concealed Red and Blue Police Light in it like unmarked cars use. I only want to use these at shows and races. THEY WOULD NOT BE USED ON PUBLIC ROADS! Now, Can I have these lights on my truck and use them only in my driveway, at shows and at races? Or is it illegal to even have them on a vehicle? They would be behind the rearview mirror, behind the grill, strobes in the tail lights, a small red and blue LED bar in the back window, flashing headlights, etc...

Thanks in Advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-08, 12:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It seems like anything "impersonating an officer" would be illegal. Also, a cry wolf type syndrome.

Also. I'd personally be very annoyed if someone was messing around in such manner in their driveway, and I then found out it was not really the cops. It would almost seem like a mockery of the police, if one could do this, legally.

Although, I have heard police type sirens (where they can alter the sound, the way police cars can), that people have gotten ahold of, and I'm not sure the legality of that either. That too is annoying. If it were legal, which I can't imagine, you'd think the cops sure would be disgruntled over it. Perhaps if nothing else, they'd pull you over for the slightest of things, just to give you a bad day.

JMO, without actual knowledge of this, of course.

Old 03-05-08, 12:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I also suspect it would be illegal for a tagged vehicle to have those lights installed. I'm sure a call to the local police or sherriff's dept will verify the legality of it - after all they're the ones that would write the ticket if it is indeed illegal.

Old 03-05-08, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
Here to have any type of emergency light INSTALLED you must have a permit whether you use it or not.
This includes any yellow rotating beacon on service vehicles and dash mounted red rotating/flashing lights that volunteer firemen use.

Old 03-05-08, 12:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Each state has it's own rules. I would suggest that you check with your state's BMV.

I can tell you that, in Ohio, a vehicle may not be equipped with and displaying a flashing, rotating or oscillating red, white, blue, yellow or combination of these colors except for vehicles specifically permitted to use them.

The key word here is display which in Ohio means turned on.

I see many Indiana fire volunteers since I'm near the border, who have blue lights mounted, but as long as they don't display them we don't worry about them.

Old 03-06-08, 08:12 AM
Called Local and state police. Both said as long as they were not used on public streets and highways, and that they were hidden, (I can't have a big light bar on top) it was perfectly fine. Although I have to go to the DMV and sign a permit stating that I will not use them on public streets and highways, and doing to will have a large penality. Blah, Blah, Blah, and all that good stuff. Thanks for the help!

Old 03-06-08, 12:42 PM
Hmmmm! How do independent snow plow drivers get away with it. Here in Massachusetts, anybody with a pkup truck and plow can run them on public roads. Good question

Old 03-06-08, 03:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by daswede View Post
Hmmmm! How do independent snow plow drivers get away with it. Here in Massachusetts, anybody with a pkup truck and plow can run them on public roads. Good question
Does what you say apply regarding the OP, where he wants police red and blue lights? Then did you see post #4?