Rust Proofing

Old 03-13-08, 05:30 AM
Rust Proofing

Could anyone tell me what the best undercoating process is now? I just bought a 2008 Chevy Impala and I usually keep my cars for 7-10 yrs. I would like to assure that the brake lines, tranny lines, etc are protected.

I looked at Col Tex ResistAll but that hardens when it's on. Also Rust Stop from Schmidt's Auto is a grease like substance that stays soft.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-08, 08:37 AM
I would say the one that is grease based. Make sure when ever you have work done to the brakes or fuel lines that you re-spray those areas. Especially when things start getting replaced.

Old 03-13-08, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Joe
I think you'll find many people will say rustproofing can cause more problems that it prevents. Plugged weepholes comes to mind. Most new cars will easily last 7-10 years with just routine maintenance. Undercoating may actually void your manufacturers body warranty. Have you noticed the dealers have moved away from trying to sell you undercoating deals,and have moved to "paint protection" systems and extended non-factory warranties?

JMO

Old 03-13-08, 01:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Back in the archives here, maybe 1-2 months ago?, we were discussing rustproofing and some people offered ideas on products, that are supposed to stick, even on older cars.

Old 03-14-08, 05:16 AM
Thank you for the input. That is exactly what I want to protect, all the brake lines, tranny lines, etc... I usually keep my vehicles for 7 - 10 yrs and do most work myself. I have had to change brake lines in the past when they were all corroded (a nightmare!). Which is why I want to spray the under carriage...

Search this Thread