97 Jimmy Fuel pressure

Old 03-17-08, 01:32 PM
97 Jimmy Fuel pressure

97 Jimmy 4.3 4x4 130,000

It won't start. I have 40 psi. Is this a fuel pump issue or is there a regulator that can allow to much return. I've already changed the fuel filter. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-08, 05:32 PM
You have checked for spark, right?

Old 03-17-08, 06:03 PM
I have spark. From what I've been told and read you need between 55-63 psi for this car to start. That seems like alot to me.

Old 03-18-08, 12:38 PM
does it sound like it wants to start? 40 is way too low...60 is what it takes. if it sounds like it wants to go but just doesn't "catch"...then it sounds like a low fuel pressure problem to me. you can clamp off the retun line but be ready to release it immediately. there's a red wire in the corner of the engine compartment, drivers side closest to the windshield. put your pressure guage on it, clamp off the return line, then using a fused jumper wire connected to battery+, touch the red wire (this will feed battery voltage directly to the pump) and watch the guage. if it shoots up past spec, disconnect the wire and remove the clamp from the return. it's the regulator. if you don't get a HUGE increase in pressure, it's the pump.

Old 03-18-08, 01:03 PM
Where is the regulator? And where do you usually clamp off the return line?

Old 03-18-08, 01:57 PM
Fuel Pressure

The regulator is under the plenum, you do not clamp off the return line as the lines are ridgid.

Old 03-18-08, 02:24 PM
I was wondering how to restict the return flow with the lines being steel. Is the regulator part of the fuel injection meter (spider). I'm leaning towards the pump because the pressure doesn't bleed off. If the regulator wasn't closing off the pressure would leak down, right? I'm just trying to convince myself I'm buying the right part.

Old 03-26-08, 07:40 PM
I replaced the pump and it started right up. Hopefully this Delphi pump will last longer than the Master pump I put in about 2 years ago. The fuel pressure with the new pump is about 57 psi.

Thanks for the input
Dan