88 Dodge Dakota

Old 03-19-08, 12:02 PM
88 Dodge Dakota

I have a 5 speed manual. My problem is when I disengage the clutch, upon acceleration, I am hearing a clicking noise. This happens in gears 1 2 and 3 alot. My first theory is the ujoints, but they seem tight when you go under and check visually. What steps should I take. Also can it still be the ujoints?.thx

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-08, 01:20 PM
There's a lot of things moving that could account for a clicking. If your clutch is depressed when you hear it and it stops when you release it, I would think in terms of throwout bearing/pressure plate diaphragm. If it shows up when you depress the clutch and release it, it could be synchronizers in the transmission or further back in the drive train, which would include the Ujoints.

I have seen worn detents in the shift rack of a transmission that would allow gear clicking. The gears wouldn't move far enough away from each other when taken out of gear. That is more of an oddity.

When you inspect ujoints, it's important you have all the pressure off the ujoints = set parking brake, block wheels, and take it out of gear. Then hold each side of the ujoint and see it there is any movement when you twist it. If you can get a screwdriver in there to use as leverage it helps.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 03-19-08, 07:44 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by brmcc74 View Post
I have a 5 speed manual. My problem is when I disengage the clutch, upon acceleration, I am hearing a clicking noise. This happens in gears 1 2 and 3 alot. My first theory is the ujoints, but they seem tight when you go under and check visually. What steps should I take. Also can it still be the ujoints?.thx
sounds as if you have a diaphram type pressure plate and one of the fingers is hitting something upon release...

Old 03-25-08, 01:29 PM
Ya, it doesnt happen all of the time, it must be intenal.........I will just wait it out until it breaks