96 Cavalier shake at idle after new T. chain

Old 03-24-08, 07:34 AM
96 Cavalier shake at idle after new T. chain

Once again, looking for potential causes for an "issue" with a used car. A 1996 Cavalier, 2.2 L recently had a timing chain (they said it was a chain, I have not looked into it) break and subsequently replaced. They claim it shakes a little when at idle, but goes above idle.

Is this an interference engine? I have a few ideas that could cause such a problem, but would like any input.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-08, 07:49 AM
Group Moderator
The Gates site doesn't list it, so it'll be a chain. Hmm, interesting thought; I don't know if any chain driven engines are interference or not. Quite a number of possibilities on the shaking, starting with the timing chain being a tooth off. Also a fairly long list of unrelated routine maintenance items such as plugs & wires, cap & rotor (if so equipped), dirty throttle plate, bad or dirty injector(s), and vacuum leaks. Have you had it scanned to see if any codes come up?

Old 03-24-08, 08:46 AM
My first thought was the chain was off a tooth as well, but I have a valve, sitting on my desk, that is far from vertical that reminds me how important timiing belt replacement is on an interference engine (I know this is a chain, which is not supposed to break, but if on an interference engine, the damage would be the same).

I have not pulled any codes, nor have I experienced the car yet. I will do all that if my niece is interested in looking at it.

Thanks for the input.

Old 03-26-08, 05:51 AM
I just heard back from the guy selling the cavalier. He replaced the ignition module before the timing chain and has not driven it much since. He claims the vibration is getting better the more he does drive it.

Question, I seem to recall hearing that when various components are replaced (i.e. ignition modules), the computer takes a while to make the adjustments to run at its best. With the new timing chain and module, could this be a contributing cause?

Thanks

Old 03-26-08, 06:15 AM
i don't think it's an interference engine. GM doesn't indicate specifically but reading the timing chain replacement procedure as well as the chain noise bulletin, there are NO warnings about not turning the engine with the chain/sprockets removed. i'd be double checking the mounts and anything that was removed/loosened during the chain replacement. did the vibe start after the chain was replaced? if so, i'd wonder what was left loose or soomething like that. if it was there previous to the chain replacement, i'd be checking the mounts for failure, exhaust, etc.

and no on the ign module/chain replacement theory. and for the record, things just don't heal themselves so, i'm skeptical that it's truly getting better and even moreso that it will stay that way.

Old 03-26-08, 06:33 AM
Here is what he claims has happened. Thanks so much for your input!!

The first thing I found wrong with the car was a bad ignition control module. I replaced it and still it would not run. Then I removed the rocker cover and watched the rocker arms not move while turned over the engine. Sure enough, the chain was broken with a piece of a plastic tensioner shoe wedged between the chain and the sprocket. I replaced the chain, sprockets, and tensioner. Engine ran but with a vibration at idle, The OBD-II code reader said it had a misfire in number 1 cylinder.

Old 03-26-08, 06:41 AM
I GUESS NO DIAGNOSTICS WAS DONE FOR THE p0301...oops...i was working in caps, sorry

that may be the shake/vibe...but if one hole out of 4 isn't working, that's alot. as i said there are no warnings about turning the engine without the chain installed...GM Quad4 engines had chains and the warnings were there. assuming...i know...

a cyl leakage test would tell the tale as far as being sealed up properly and put that issue to rest.

the misfire is another thing. plug, wire, coil...a bad new module...it happens. could also be an injector problem. how long has this car been sitting not running?

Old 03-10-09, 07:59 PM
Im sorry I didnt catch the year on yours....I just finished doing a chain on a 03 cavalier with the 2.2 ecotec today. They are interference engines. And they are notoriously bad for breaking chain guides and tensioners. The tensioners are not hydro, they are spring loaded and Im sure that has something to do with it. If yours has the 2.2 eco engine, then it might be that the balance shafts that are off. which would require complete tear down to resest the balance shafts timing chain.

If its an older 2.2 they are listed as Non interfernce, But I replaced one a while back that snapped and IT DID BEND THE VALVES.

EDIT: reading owns me, its a 96

Old 03-10-09, 08:15 PM
Group Moderator
This thread is also just short of year old, so I'm pretty sure the problem was resolved one way or another. Beer 4U2

Old 03-11-09, 06:44 PM
I wasnt paying attention. I came across this thread from google, thought I would join in. turns out mine had a broken rocker also. Found that out today

Search this Thread