Oil pan issues

Old 03-24-08, 06:05 PM
Oil pan issues

Hi again all.

i drive an '03 Mazda Protege5, 2L, auto.

I was doing an oil change on it today and I noticed that the gasket is very oily and the area on the oil pan around the oil plug is soaked with oil. Besides that the oil pan seems to be rusting. Is it safe to assume that I should swap out the oil pan at my next oil change? I drained about the same amount of oil out and my dashboard isn't telling me that I'm losing pressure. It seems fine for another 3K as far as I can tell. So what do you all think? And would the repair simply be unscrewing the bolts holding the pan up and swapping it out? Seems like it. That's what it took to do the transmission oil pan. Thanks in advance for your input.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-08, 03:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would be unusual for something oily to rust. You may just need to replace the oil plug gasket. Oil pans aren't always easy to replace - depends on how much clearance there is - the pan needs to come straight down [more or less] until it clears the crank.

Old 03-25-08, 05:26 AM
Group Moderator
Probably a fair amount of rust on the outside from the road salt up there. I see plenty of rusted off parts on northern visitors' vehicles, but have never seen an oil pan rust through. Before you start tearing into it, you might try simply snugging up the pan bolts, just don't overtighten and snap one off.

Old 03-25-08, 09:34 AM
Well, it hasn't rusted through... I just see rust starting to settle in on the bottom of the thing and it probably is from the salted roads up here.

I will get under there and do some tightening on my next day off. The gasket it is, I'm pretty sure. I can't just change that though, I'd have to change out the oil pan.

Hmmm, straight out eh. Looks like that won't be easy... it's just something I'm going to have to keep an eye on.

Thanks for your input fellas.

Old 03-25-08, 12:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know the specifics for your car but it isn't uncommon to have to raise the motor to gain clearance to remove the oil pan. My wife used to have an 86 olds that required pulling the engine to replace the oil pan

Old 03-25-08, 04:13 PM
remove rust

If the rust is on the outside it is more then likley surface rust. If it just does not look good take some scotchbrite or sandpaper or a wire wheel remove the rust clean with some degreaser and paint it. Snug up the bolts for the seep.

Old 03-25-08, 10:59 PM
Cool! I could really care less about the appearance... it's on the outside of the pan. I'll tighten for the seepage on my next day off (next Monday). If I lose any pressure though, I'll head right to the dealer and get a new pan. It doesn't look like it'll drop right out, however, it doesn't look too problematic. Thanks again all!!!

Old 03-26-08, 06:26 AM
looks to me like it uses sealer for a gasket rather than a conventioal one. look closely and see what you see. if it's sealer, don't bother tightening anything, you'll make the leak worse AND you may bend the pan flange around the bolt holes which makes even harder to seal properly. keep an eye on it and plan on removing the pan at some point and cleaning all the old silicone from the engine and the pan...make sure you wipe the sealing areas completely dry with some brake cleaner or alcohol (something that leaves no film...carb and choke cleaner both DO leave something behind). use a good quality silicone...import grey would be fine and don't overuse it. tighten the screws evenly and take your time. all the way tight and then just a tiny bit more for retention. be careful of getting silicone in the bolt holes, you really have to go slowly when tightening because the silicone has no where to go in a blind hole except out around the threads. i've seen lots of cracks caused by greedy techs with air tools!