97 Ford Contour wiring, speed sensor? Speedometer?

Old 03-26-08, 01:53 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
97 Ford Contour wiring, speed sensor? Speedometer?

I have a 1997 Ford Contour, V6, Auto. It ran terrible and the speedometer did not work. We read the codes and it said the Vehicle Speed Sensor was bad (along with mixture being too lean). I replaced the VSS, but noticed that the wiring connector going to the VSS was all shot - bare and broken wires. The connector is in a spot where I can not splice a new connector on so I was thinking of by-passing the connector and running wires directly from the VSS to somehwere else in the wiring harness that I can get too easily. Looking at the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual, I see places where 2 of the VSS wires are connected to wires for the Air Mass Sensor (which is right on top of the engine and easy to get to). However, the third VSS wire goes almost directly to the computer - the problem is the "almost". There is one item in the diagram I do not understand so I don't know how/where to attach this third wire. Where else can I connect the VSS wires to? Can I go directly to the computer? Will this idea work? I know Ford recalled these cars for the wiring problems with them - although this car is over the recall limit, if I make a stink, will Ford still do the recall work (rewiring the wiring harness due to defective wiring)? Finally, I know with some cars the VSS works the speedometer, but since the manual keeps talking about a speedometer cable, does that mean the problem with the speedometer not working is not due to the VSS? Since the trans is working badly, is this a tranny problem or could it still be the VSS?

Old 03-26-08, 02:06 PM
Old 03-26-08, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by shinrich
I know Ford recalled these cars for the wiring problems with them - although this car is over the recall limit, if I make a stink, will Ford still do the recall work (rewiring the wiring harness due to defective wiring)?
Additional Warranty Coverage

Effective immediately, Ford is providing additional coverage for the replacement of the under hood wire harnesses on these vehicles for a period of 10 years or 100,000 miles, which ever occurs first, from the original warranty start date. This coverage exceeds the provisions of the original component warranty coverage on the affected vehicles and is automatically transferred to subsequent owners at no charge. This additional coverage does not include normal service diagnostic or repair charges unrelated to wire harness brittleness and cracking. After this additional coverage has expired, wire harness replacements will be at the expense of the vehicle owner.

Old 03-27-08, 05:57 AM
S
Great (this is so much better than the one I have) - one thing, the diagram says 2.0L (which would be the 4 cylinder) and I have the V6, 2.5L. Do you have the diagram for the 2.5? And as for the recall, my car is over 10 years and 100,000 miles so is not covered by the extended recall. Is the wiring for the 2.5? similar to the 2.0L? Thanks

Old 03-27-08, 08:23 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Shinrich, only the 1995 Contours had speedometers driven by mechanical cables. The 1996's and up all had electronic speedometers/odometers driven off the VSS.

I understand that the wiring harnesses are out of production and out of Ford's stock. Unless you can find a dealer that has a harness still in stock, you will have to improvise. And yeah, Ford will not honor any vehicle out of the extended warranty. The cost to replace the entire harness assembly ran over $2000, if I recall correctly.

Old 03-27-08, 01:29 PM

Last edited by mlass; 03-27-08 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-27-08, 03:38 PM
This may the the connector for the VSS.

91az-14489-ba

List Price $27.00

Not sure if this part number is correct, but check with your local dealer. I'm not very good with the Ford Parts Catalog and doesn't show a picture, but says goes to Speed Sensor.

Old 03-28-08, 05:52 AM
S
Thanks, yes, this is the diagram I needed, perfect! One final question, in reading about this, I've seen terms PCM (Powertrain Control Module) and ECM (Electronic Control Module) - are these the same thing? Where is the PCM? From the Haynes, I believe it is through the fire wall, behind the power steering fluid tank, by the knee/foot of the passenger and I can tap into the wires as they go through the fire wall - does that sound like a plan? Also, there is a large junction box right by the battery where the large wiring harness cable that comes up from the VSS plugs into. Is there a way to plug into that instead of going directly to the PCM? If so, is there a schematic anywhere of which wire is which for this junction box? Anyway, I think I can go directly from the PCM relay/VSS/PCM. thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: