Fuel Issue

Old 03-27-08, 08:41 PM
Fuel Issue

My mother has an '88 Merc. Grand Marquis. It has not been cranked in nearly 2 years, after my father became ill. I have charged the battery from time-to-time, and decided to try to crank it today, with plans to give it away. The only way that I could get it to fire was to shoot starting fluid into the intake, but it would't keep running. This leads me to believe that it is not getting gasoline. (I poured about three gal. of fresh gas into a dry tank.) This is a throttle body engine. How can I determine if it is getting fuel to the throttle body?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-08, 06:56 AM
Group Moderator
First check is pretty simple - make sure the pump is running. Remove gas cap and put your ear to the opening while someone else turns the key to "on" (not "start"). You should hear the pump humm for a few seconds as it pressurizes the system. If it humms, at least it's running, but it may not be putting out enough pressure and/or the filter could be clogged. Next would be to trace the fuel lines and in the engine compartment look for a pressure test fitting; it will have a valve like a tire and may or may not have a screw off cap on it. Once the system is pressurized (pump humms), you can depress the valve and see if you get fuel. Be careful, if there's pressure there it'll spray, so put a rage over it and protect your eyes. If you get fuel, the next check would be to get a pressure gauge on it to ensure there is enough pressure being generated.

Old 03-28-08, 07:47 AM
Thanks, Tow Guy. That is just the kind of info that I need.I'll post back with what I find. By the way, if the pump seems not to be working, is there a fuse in the circuit which could be checked for continuity?

Old 03-28-08, 09:09 AM
there is a fuel pump fuse in the fuse box, probably located at the lower left under dash area. there are a couple relays that you may end up checking as well....but before you do that. open the trunk and pull the carpet back a bit next to where the trunk latches. there should be a switch there with 2 wires going to it. push the little round button in...if it clicks, then you just reset the "inertia" switch. the car should start now. the inertia switch is a safety device to shut off the fuel pump in the event of an accident.

if it doesn't click, you can try whacking it lightly with a rubber hammer or next to it with something more solid...sometimes you can trip than just by hitting them with the heel of your hand. you'll hear it when it trips...then push the button back in and try starting.

Old 03-28-08, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for adding that, carguy. My memory must be going. There should be a fuse and a relay and they can be checked if the pump's not running and the inertia switch isn't tripped.

Old 03-28-08, 03:54 PM
would start by checking fuel pressure if its throttle body injected the test port is on the throttle body easy to see once air cleaner is removed might double check the year if its throttle body injected as port injection has been used since around 86 if its port injected it should be on the fuel rail. with a car setting for 2 years it could very well have a bad fuel pump along with bad gas.

Search this Thread