Synthetic Oil

Old 03-28-08, 08:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Synthetic Oil

Im just wondering if it would hurt a engine thats in a car I might buy. 1987 vw Jetta Original never rebuilt engine (as far as i know) dont know how many miles but would it hurt if i started using synthetic oil in it? Ive heard it will.....

Old 03-28-08, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Soadaman
Im just wondering if it would hurt a engine thats in a car I might buy. 1987 vw Jetta Original never rebuilt engine (as far as i know) dont know how many miles but would it hurt if i started using synthetic oil in it? Ive heard it will.....
No it wouldn't hurt at all, some people say synthetic will loosen up engine built up sludge in high mileage engines but I couldn't tell if this is true or not, do an engine flush just to be sure then start using full synthetic oil, remember to spin on a high performance filter such as k&n or mobil 1 so you can extend oil change intervals to at least 5K miles if not way more....

Old 03-28-08, 10:05 PM
I personally wouldn't do it unless you are prepared to replace some seals. I only run full synthetic in my cars but the engines have been rebuilt and they were on synthetic from that point forward.

Old 03-29-08, 12:27 PM
well i was gonna say ''if i rebuild the engine then start'' unfortunetly i do not have the time or money to do so if i get the car....but in the future i hope to restore this back to factory shape from the frame up and will rebuild the motor and tranny then....what about using a higher quality oil....i think ill do that

Old 03-30-08, 09:15 AM
I Would Not Recommend Using Synthetic Oil In Your Car. You Might Want To Think About A Half & Half. There Are Many Types Of Synthetic Blend Oils That Will Protect Against Thermal Breakdown,try Using A High Mileage Oil. These Are Formulated To Protect Your High Mileage Engine. High Priced Oil Filters Will Not Extend Oil Intervals. Factory Oil Filters Are The Best Option. If You Want Long Life Out Of Your Engine Just Change Oil At The Intervals Your Dealer Recommends. The Cost Of An Oil Change Is Far From The Cost Of A New Engine.

Old 03-30-08, 11:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by 20yeartec
If You Want Long Life Out Of Your Engine Just Change Oil At The Intervals Your Dealer Recommends.
I would amend that to, "...the intervals your owner's manual recommends."

Old 03-30-08, 11:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yeah, dealers make money on oil changes, and the more they can con you into, the more money they make. Sort of like my dentist, who, now wants me to start coming in every 4 months rather than 6 months. Naturally my insurance wouldn't pay for such insanity, so I opted out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: