Can you prime fuel injection..

Old 03-30-08, 03:15 PM
Can you prime fuel injection..

My daughters 1996 Dodge Neon sat half the winter. We went to start it up and it won't start. I'm thinking that maybe it lost its prime somehow. Is there anyway to prime a 96 Neon? I'm not sure if its fuel injected or not. Thanks......

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-08, 04:16 PM
There is no need for priming.
To check if it is related to no fuel pressure, spray a little starting fluid into the air cleaner while cranking. If it start you will need to check the fuel pump issue or injector issue.

You never mention if it cranks over????

Old 03-30-08, 05:28 PM
All you can do to prime the fuel system is to cycle the ignition on and off a few times. Turn ignition on for a few seconds, turn it off for a second, on for a few seconds, then repeat.

Old 03-30-08, 06:04 PM
Yes, the motor will crank over. I'll try to cycle the ignition first, if that doesn't work I'll try the starting fluid.
We could only fill the gas tank half way last year, has a leak over the half way mark but it always started. The motor was cranking a little slow, battery weak from sitting for a while. I'll also put a good charge on the battery before I try starting it again. I'll keep you posted. Thanks.....

Old 04-02-08, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by grantiman View Post
Yes, the motor will crank over. I'll try to cycle the ignition first, if that doesn't work I'll try the starting fluid.
We could only fill the gas tank half way last year, has a leak over the half way mark but it always started. The motor was cranking a little slow, battery weak from sitting for a while. I'll also put a good charge on the battery before I try starting it again. I'll keep you posted. Thanks.....
if it is fuel injected, the tank needs to have the leak fixed.
check a plug wire to see if it is firing.

Old 04-03-08, 05:23 AM
by all means get the engine to crank at normal cranking speed. a fully charged battery may be your only issue. there is a threshold voltage that the computer shuts down at...cranking is the largest draw on the electrical system.

forget priming...the pump is turned on a for 2-3 seconds when the key is cycled on...then it starts running all the time as soon as the controller sees cranking.

be very careful with starting fluid...that's a dangerous deal.

you can buy a spark tester at your local parts supplier and remove a spark plug wire, attach the tester to the wire and clip it to bare metal (ground) and then watch it while someone cranks it...you'll see right away for you have spark or not. also...stick a funnel or a piece of hose into the fuel filler neck (where you put the gas in it) and listen as someone turns the key on...you should hear the fuel pump run for that 2-3 second cycle. if you don't check the fuses...and since it's been sitting for some time, you might want to just loot at stuff and see if you see any wiring that's been chewed on by critters.