88 Toyota Camry light failure sensor

Old 04-01-08, 06:06 AM
88 Toyota Camry light failure sensor

I have a 1988 Toyota Camry station wagon, auto, 4 cyl, w/ cruise control and the brake lights do not work. I've checked the fuses and even replaced the stop light switch with no luck. Power is getting to the switch but checking the actual light sockets I can tell that no power is getting to the brake light socket (so it is not in the ground circuit). My next thing is to check/replace the light failure sensor. Where is this thing located? Can I just bypass it or do I need to buy a new one if bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-08, 01:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Okay, you have power to the brake switch, but do you have power leaving the brake switch. You should have power when the pedal is depressed.
If you have power leaving the switch but not at the sockets, Start checking for a loose connector or pinched / cut wire.

Does the cruise control still work? If it does, it should cancel when you step on the brake.

Old 04-01-08, 05:42 PM
i don't have a wire diagram handy but I believe that car uses the same bulb filaments for stop and turn...this being the case the current leaves the brake switch (yes...with the pedal depressed, you should see power on BOTH sides of the switch) and then goes to the turn signal switch...then to the bulbs. somewhere in the rear, probably in the trunk, is a connector that connects the rear lamp harness to the main lamp harness. you can check there for voltage as well if you have it on both sides of the switch. if nothing there...it's likey to be under the dash or in the column.

Old 04-02-08, 05:48 AM
I've found the Light Failure Sensor, thanks. As for the brake switch, I checked for power getting to the switch while I had it out, then replaced it with the a one and had one of my children check to see if she saw brake light. She said she did so I re-installed the switch (a big pain). Well, it was really the sun's reflection she saw and so I still have no brakes. I now just want to by-pass the sensor and was hoping for a schematic so I know which wires to connect as Toyota wants $225 for a new sensor - crazy! Any luck on a sensor diagram? Thanks

Old 04-02-08, 06:02 AM
green with a white tracer comes from the brake lamp switch on terminal 7...green with a red tracer goes out to the brake lamps from terminal 1. disconnect the sensor and jump those 2 terminals together and the lights should work...if the sensor is indeed bad.

Old 04-02-08, 09:29 AM
Great! This is exactly what I need! Thanks

Old 04-07-08, 05:57 AM
This worked exactly like planned - thanks for everyone for this help! You know I love the internet and being able to get help and call on the resources of other people and experts! Thanks everyone!

Old 08-28-14, 07:38 PM
Just wanted to thanks all who replied to this, the local Toyota wanted me to come in and would have charged me an arm and leg for a fifteen minute job. I own and 88 camry 4 door. 2.0 liter, basic model, the sensor is located in the trunk. Open the trunk, pull the panel from on the left side and follow the wiring to the yellow box (sensor). You can feel the connector to the sensor, simply push down on the middle tab and pull away from sensor. From this point follow the other instructions to this thread. From what I can tell the sensor is like around $200..outrageous in my opinion.