96 Corolla, killed the auto tranny and/or driveshaft

Old 04-02-08, 06:58 AM
96 Corolla, killed the auto tranny and/or driveshaft

Replaced 2 drive axles in 96 Corolla as old ones were clicking from torn boot. Difficult to get passenger side one in. Made a stupid mistake of shifting the auto transmission while shafts were out and left in neutral. I now realize mistake as I can still hear the teeth grinding off the splines on either driveshaft or tranny once I fired it up and placed into gear (or tried to). Parking pawl also gone and car is chocked on slight incline. Appears I will need to replace driveshaft(s) and/or tranny. I recall that the pass side one was more stubborn to turn after installation and before firing up the motor and committing Toyota-cide. Bottom line, don't touch that shift lever when axles are out. I'll post the next development after I pull the shafts out and have a look.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-08, 07:13 AM
doesn't make sense that you would have lost park. if one of the axles isn't engaged in the differential side gear splines, you would get a noise and no park. take a look at your old axle and see where the stub end that goes into the transaxle is clean. that's how much needs to be inside the seal at the end of the trans. now take a look at the installation of the new one...can you see more of the stub end of the axle? if you can, it's not in there all the way. since it was a difficult installation, you may want to remove it (this is assuming the best case scenario that it's just not installed all the way) and have a good look at the splines and stuff...match it carefully to the one you took out. you may want to contact your supplier and see if they have another one and compare...or could there be more than one part number for that application and they just sold you the one they sell the most of. i've had to file splines to clean up burring and so forth to make reman axles work. in all honesty, the ones i've had most problems with are the cheapest ones. they're cheap because they go thru the least reman process possible...sometimes that makes them hard to install...even tho they are remanned.

Old 04-02-08, 05:37 PM
there is a diffreance

Also there is a diffreance between the axle for a auto and a manual shift make sure the parts store gave you the right one.

Old 04-02-08, 06:49 PM
Also there is a diffreance between the axle for a auto and a manual shift make sure the parts store gave you the right one.
Toyota and Nissan from the mid 90's Must be an EXACT match, There is no room for error. Auto/ manual..Engine size..and likely the 8th and 10th vin digits (Engine code and year code). Ive Installed incorrect axles , only to have them "POP-OUT" turning out of the shop. Ive also seen some of the cheaper Remans sent out with no circlip or a circlip that was worn out. The axle must "Latch" into the trans when slid all the way in...A tug on the shaft may not always prove that the axle is Latched, and may "Displace one of the joints.

Each axle shaft depends on the opposite side to transmit "Motion" . If either is not seated, the car will not propell itself, and will not engage park.

Old 04-03-08, 07:37 AM
More on Corolla tranny

Took driveaxles out, some damage to teeth as shown in this link:

The link may not work as it is the first time I have used this method.

As shown (or not), the pass side axle lost the snapring which was broken. The link also shows old vs new on the pass side. I can't tell if the new one is the wrong part. I also can't determine from the photos or visual inspection if some teeth in the transaxle were damaged as well. I could reach and turn the gear inside the transaxle on the pass side while the trans was in park. I dropped the trans pan and filter and could also not find the rest of the snapring. Fluid looked OK but 2 qts were new, installed before I fired it up.

it's possible that I may get lucky and reinstallation may prove successful OR the trans could fail @ any time even if it shift OK. I almost have it back together as of last night.

Appreciate the input. Axles purchased @ Autozone, total $140 w/ military discount. Brought in the old ones for core charge and comparison when purchased.

We'll see soonwhat happens. Worst case scenario is a trans and/or driveaxle swap.

Old 04-03-08, 07:47 AM
Yet another attempt to post link to Corolla photos

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...a%20Transaxle/

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 04-03-08 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Assist with link.
Old 04-04-08, 05:04 PM
Corolla is fixed

Pulled driveaxles as per last post. Reinstalled (carefully) while trans in park. I was optomistic since the opposite wheel now turned in relation to the one I turned as noted by Unclediezel. Fired it up and it runs OK. Will test drive and keep an eye on the fluid. I realize that the trans and axles may have a shorter lifespan due to this but car has 186K on it and has been paid for since 2003.
Apparently I did not have the axle correctly seated before since the teeth and snaping were damaged as shown in photos from last post.
I did some research and foud out what carguyinva (anywhere close to Powhatan or Stanardsille?) was speaking of re the loss of park function. Som 2004 Lexus were recalled when the snap ring was prone to break off under sudden acceleration and jam the gears, preventing park from working as it should. The fix was, of course, to have the dealer R & R transmission. Lotta bread for a luxury car with such a defect.
Appreciate the input. Hoping to pay off the other car in august.