92' Buick Roadmaster

Old 04-05-08, 03:18 PM
92' Buick Roadmaster

I have a 1992 Buick Roadmaster and when I put it in gear today the gear shift was loose. What would cause it and how do you fix it?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-08, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by emerym View Post
I have a 1992 Buick Roadmaster and when I put it in gear today the gear shift was loose. What would cause it and how do you fix it?
could be a broken bushing in the colum, could be a bolt has come loose on the mechanism. Has it been getting looser over time or did it just come loose all at once?
Speedwrench
it is far better to ask dumb questions that to try to fix dumb mistakes

Old 04-06-08, 02:37 PM
It may have been loose for a few days but I really noticed yesterday . Will it be expensive to repair?

Old 04-06-08, 07:57 PM
mostly that depends on where the loosnes is at, if it is in the steering colume that would require pulling the colume and several hours labor, if it is in the linkage to the tranny, maybe only a hour for diagnosis and repair. Sometimes you can get by with only pulling the steering wheel and replacing the shift collar which only takes about a hour to r&r.
speedwrench.

Old 04-07-08, 04:34 AM
describe the looseness. is it just the shift lever? if so, is the looseness an up and down thing, a fore and aft thing. do the parts on the column that the lever goes into move around also? do you have to move the shift lever farther than normal to engage reverse or drive?

Old 04-07-08, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
I'm wondering if he isn't describing it being completely loose, i.e. lost the bushing at the tranny connection and the linkage is dangling.

Old 04-07-08, 10:24 AM
very well could be, TTG...and many others...loose column screws, broken detent spring in the shift lever...maybe he'll post back with more info and we can get to the bottom of his looseness!

Old 04-08-08, 06:10 PM
The only thing loose is the lever itself and it is fore and aft not up and down.

Old 04-09-08, 05:00 AM
sounds like the spring has broken...carefully with a punch and hammer, drive the pivot pin up and out that holds the shift lever to the shift bowl (part of the column that the lever hooks to) and down inside should abe a spring...take it or the pieces of it out and replace it. you may be able to get one from the dealer or match one up..