2000 silverado 4x4

Old 04-10-08, 08:34 AM
2000 silverado 4x4

Chev truck 4x4 6.0L when I turn hard left or right into parking place I lose braking pwer and it seems as if the anti lock brakes start pulsing. I virtually lose brakes when it happens. Any ideas please. There is no abs warning light on.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-08, 09:29 AM
sounds like low speed sensor drop out...pretty common on those trucks. there was a recall (i own a 2000 tahoe) on them...call the dealer and give them your VIN and they can check to see if it's still open.

Old 04-13-08, 06:29 AM
Wouldn't this cause the ABS warning light to come on?

Old 04-13-08, 07:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
carguy is probably right. check vin with dealer.

not to steal the thread, but brace yourself up for all kinds of noises, rattles, pulsations, clunks, jerks and all that. it is infamous "clunker" model. i have one myself. i did tons of reading about relevant issues, and even came across six page document from gmc "scientifically explaining" why this truck "is supposed to, and it is normal" to make all the noises.
eg, try to engage your 4wd and then park in the parking lot. will scare the crap out of you, cv joints bind so much.
once again, it is "normal" according to gmc. somehow, it is not "normal" on toyotas and nissans, but then again - what do "they" know about designing and building trucks?

just out of interest, go to any major parts store and ask them to scope your obdII with scanner. you might get lucky and it'll throw a code, then you'll have it pointed at the part then. one thing good about this truck is - it is very easy to work on, as far as you have set of oversized wrenches/sockets and a cheatpipe. obdII is right across your left kneecap, under the dasboard.

Old 04-13-08, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by falente View Post
Wouldn't this cause the ABS warning light to come on?
If a signal from a sensor drops out with your foot on the brake the ABS system thinks it is seeing a loss of signal due to a brake locking a wheel up and the system will do a false ABS cycle. This would not set a code even if it is getting a false reading. A code will set if the sensor or wiring is out of spec when resistance is checked or if a sensor signal drops out with your foot off the brake. There are probably other considerations for a sensor code but I don't have my technical information available now.

Old 04-13-08, 09:11 AM
try to engage your 4wd and then park in the parking lot. will scare the crap out of you, cv joints bind so much.
why on earth would you put your truck into 4WD to park it on dry pavement. 4WD operation on dry pavement has NEVER been recommended by any manufacturer and will ALWAYS result in driveline bind. AWD...thats a whole different animal.

As far as getting an OBD II code from that vehicle from your local parts place...that might not work as ABS is not an OBD II function...second generation on board diagnostics is engine management systems only. there are quite a few systems on todays cars that a code scanner will not interface with.

the likely problem with the subject vehicle is from dirt and corrosion build up inside the sealed bearing assembly that interferes with the magnetic pulses generated by the wheel speed sensor. sensor output amplitude at slow speeds will drop below the readable threshhold and the controller "sees" this as the wheel not turning (negative wheel slip) and activates the abs cycle. it's alittle disconcerting when it happens and should be addressed. check on the recall info first...

Old 04-13-08, 06:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
[QUOTE=carguyinva;1348326]try to engage your 4wd and then park in the parking lot. will scare the crap out of you, cv joints bind so much.
why on earth would you put your truck into 4WD to park it on dry pavement. 4WD operation on dry pavement has NEVER been recommended by any manufacturer and will ALWAYS result in driveline bind. AWD...thats a whole different animal.

why? because you can. you paid for it and it should work idiot proof. because your bud's tundra doesn't. because this particular problem, with "steering wheel rattle during tight turns at low speeds in parking lots" even ended in tsb issued to remedy it. because it'll do it even just in auto4wd, when driveshafts are not even locked. because it's so bad that it became a "lemon truck" and lawyers are milking it now.
( sorry i capered the thread, but in less than a year of ownership of that american revolution, i had more repairs done with my hands on it, than i had on all of our mitsubishes, toyotas, and hondas owned through years all together. that's why. oh, and manual does not say not to drive it on dry pavement and in 4wd)

Last edited by carguyinva; 04-13-08 at 07:09 PM. Reason: off topic and advertisement
Old 04-13-08, 07:11 PM
well...to each his own. Let's drop the off topic discussion relating to vehicle satisfaction and proper operation. Sorry if I offended you.