Are those newer low profile tires more likely to break a belt from potholes?

Old 04-17-08, 03:13 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Are those newer low profile tires more likely to break a belt from potholes?

I currently do not own a set, but in case I ever see a nice sporty car that has them -, I'd like to know this because I live in terrible pothole country. Constantly mumbling to myself when I cleverly dodge one and then hit another one.

Also are the wheels more likely to bend and cause of out round/out of balance problems?

Old 04-17-08, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
Hmmm, interesting question. I don't know the answer, but one thing I CAN tell you is that I'll wager 90% of those ultra-low profile tires on the road is underinflated, often dangerously so. I've seen people practically riding on the rim who were totally oblivious to how low the pressure was because visually it is EXTEMELY hard to tell, just like with donut spares that are designed for 60 psi, but which look okay with 20 pounds in them.

I do think that rim damage is much more common on the ultra low profile tires than anything with a taller sidewall. I bet the rim manufacturers like that.

Old 04-17-08, 04:18 PM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I don't know the answer either, but:

I've had basic low profile tires. Not sure what basic is, but they're not the regular tires. And I would like to say I would never ever, ever, ever, ever buy those types of tires ever again. Then again, maybe I got some cheapies but they were expensive. (I personally did not buy them!)

The ones I had basically seem to have worn out faster than the normal regular tires.

Other than it looking really cool, I don't know the meaning of these things.

BTW: You probably wouldn't like it if you had to be really careful on those potholes. I ran a few when I didn't see them and all I could say was "Ouch..."...and squinch my face. "Hope nothing bad happened".

I know one thing, they will cost you more $$$ if ever one of those tires go out. Look into the cost of 1 of those tires first.

Old 04-17-08, 04:29 PM
E
Aren't the actual wheel sizes like 18 inches?, so they can accomodate larger disc brakes, yet keep the overall height of the tire down to normal standards?

Old 04-17-08, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
buddy's honda was purchased with those on. i drove it on several occasions, and it is very hard to steer. they have tendency to wonder on their own.

on general note, it all is under very rigorous standards and i do not believe they should be any more vulnarable than regular tires, or manufacturers will have mucho dinero lost in refunds or law suites.

i'd say, for russian rode you need good height - second number(254/75/16, for instance) - tires, with as many ply as you can efford and good sidewall to cushion impacts. basic principle is - you always get what you paid for. not offroad ones, those are rough to ride on regular pavement.

Old 04-17-08, 06:08 PM
E
Originally Posted by ukrkoz

on general note, it all is under very rigorous standards and i do not believe they should be any more vulnarable than regular tires, or manufacturers will have mucho dinero lost in refunds or law suites.
The basic theory to all of this can be thought of as perhaps comparing the old balloon bike tire to the skinny high pressure 10 speed tire. One would think that if you hit an abupt object (maybe a curb head on) with the balloon tire, the bike may just bounce way up in the air, where the 10 speed might bend the rim/blow the tire.

As far as lawsuits goes: Hmmm. Maybe people have to die first. There are always products on the market that are indeed questionable, where you go, " What were THEY thinkin'".

Old 04-17-08, 06:33 PM
I have low profile tires on my Maxima, 235x40x18's.

I hit a pot hole that seemed like it was 20 feet deep but did not blow the tire. My rim was bent, but the tire was perfect.

The roads here in Oklahoma.....are not the best.

Old 04-17-08, 06:37 PM
M
my 2 cents

some guys at work have those low profiles the kind were the rim is the main attraction and the tire is a mere black stripe around the rim.
Yes a pothole will wipeout a tire and also dent the rim more easy then a normal tire wheel combination.
Also the cost of those tires is wayout of the ballpark for me. I can get a set of 4 for the price they pay for one.
I will stay with the regular tires and I would like some old school centerline wheels good enough for me.

Old 04-17-08, 10:12 PM
"Belt Shift" or "IMPACT DAMAGE" are definitely more of a concern because of the inflation Issue mentioned previously.

Normal driving puts a tremendous amount of heat stress on rubber. An under inflated tire can increase this heat generation by 10 to 15 times. The result is a tread that softens up and starts to "Distort"".......Getting it back to original form when it cools off is the problem. Its very difficult to "Relax" rubber to a constant shape, after it has been "SMACKED" around.

The Wheel damage issue is Common sense.... 1 inch of inflated rubber between Concrete and A chunk of ALUMINUM is a recipe for disaster.

Old 04-18-08, 09:12 AM
K
It's hard to be styling in low profile wheels with today's roads. Thankfully, it's not part of my driving persona. To each his own.

Old 04-18-08, 02:47 PM
I've racked over 40,000+ miles on the current LP tires I have on now and still plenty of tread left. We can debate this for ever, but it's all about personal taste. Luckily I have a tire pressure warning light so I don't gotta worry about rolling a tire.

I don't hear any talk about the pickups with the enormous mud tires on them?

Old 04-18-08, 03:45 PM
I don't hear any talk about the pickups with the enormous mud tires on them?
Thats cause you cant hear the conversation over the noise from those "SWAMP RATS".....

Old 04-18-08, 04:35 PM
E
Originally Posted by HotinOKC
I have low profile tires on my Maxima, 235x40x18's.

I hit a pot hole that seemed like it was 20 feet deep but did not blow the tire. My rim was bent, but the tire was perfect.

The roads here in Oklahoma.....are not the best.
So did you have any choice words directed to the producers of that tire/wheel system? What did that end up costing you?

Old 04-18-08, 04:38 PM
E
Originally Posted by Unclediezel
The Wheel damage issue is Common sense.... 1 inch of inflated rubber between Concrete and A chunk of ALUMINUM is a recipe for disaster.
But the wallet still goes ouch, no matter which gets damaged. Those fancy wheels must be expensive I'd think.

Old 04-18-08, 04:48 PM
M
enormous mud

enormous mud tires are cool you cant damage them. I like the 12 ply rating load range E. Many a curb has been ran over with my 3/4 ton chevrolet with no damage to my tires or wheels with the 80 psi in them. Too bad gas is so much or I would get another truck with some big tires maybe a Ford f-350 super duty arr arr arr.

Old 04-18-08, 05:21 PM
E
Do 80 psi tires give you better gas mileage?That is something actually I wondered years ago when the boss's construction pickup truck had 6 ply tires on them that aired to I think 50 psi or more.

Old 04-18-08, 06:00 PM
M
I dont think so

I dont really think that it makes that much diffreance when you push 5000 pounds of steel around. My 89 chevrolet 3/4 ton HD with a 350 and a 3 speed auto still sucked the gas about 12mpg but it sure commanded respect from Toyota drivers. Now I have downsized to a Tacoma 4cyl but get much better fuel mileage. dont really know why those big tires on large pickups require so much air but at least air is still free.

Old 04-18-08, 07:22 PM
I have Michelins LTX M/S Load range E ( 3500 lbs each ) on my K3500 Silverado , they are 10 ply not 12 as far as I know, 12 ply would be load range F , anyways they're made for big loads thats why they take some much air ( 80 psi ) you can run them lower if you want they don't have to be at max. pressure I have mine at 60 psi on the front and 75 psi on rear as per GM's sticker on driver's door frame.

Old 04-19-08, 08:29 AM
So did you have any choice words directed to the producers of that tire/wheel system? What did that end up costing you?
The city actually paid for my rim to get repaired...it costed them about $60. It's the cities responsibility to maintain the roads, so they take liability where I am from.

Like I said before, I have not had any issues with my LP and rims besides that one pothole, but this pothole was big enough to damage any tire and rim. Whenever I drove by this same pothole later on, I always saw cars pulled off the road with a flat.....

I originally had little 15" tires on this car, and since swapping to these 18"'s, my car handles like it's on rails.

They are a little more expensive up front, about $200/tire, and another $350 a rim, but worth it for me, they are insured.

Old 04-19-08, 12:43 PM
E
The city actually paid for my rim to get repaired...it costed them about $60. It's the cities responsibility to maintain the roads, so they take liability where I am from.
So they take people's word for it how the wheel got damaged? Do they also pay for broken belts?

Like I said before, I have not had any issues with my LP and rims besides that one pothole, but this pothole was big enough to damage any tire and rim. Whenever I drove by this same pothole later on, I always saw cars pulled off the road with a flat.....
That must REALLY have been the mother of all potholes. I would have had an instant sore throat from screaming at the city.

I originally had little 15" tires on this car, and since swapping to these 18"'s, my car handles like it's on rails.
On rails? You mean like a real stiff ride?, where you feel all the bumps?

Old 04-19-08, 01:00 PM
You are one of the lucky ones.....That could have gone either way.

The larger "FOOTPRINT" is definitely beneficial to stability on the smaller "Thinner" framed cars, But consider running the 100 yard dash in sneakers that are 3 sizes too big for your feet. The maxima is not a "Small " car by todays standards, But none the less, should do nicely with bigger shoes, Provided the alignment can be pulled "RELATIVELY" close. The difference in "Footprint" can Have an effect on "Actual" Camber angles, and may seriously "Edgewear" tires if not watched over.

Old 04-19-08, 02:31 PM
Well I couldn't get the tires and rims and not get the suspension done either.. I put Eibach springs and a camber kit on a few years back. I'll try and dig up a pic.

Old 04-19-08, 03:09 PM
E
That is the car, I take it? And it rode like on rails? Can you describe that more for us? I am really starting to lean toward not having any interest in having these tires, as sharp as they may look.

Old 04-19-08, 04:27 PM
And it rode like on rails?
Meaning "GOOD".....

The Bigger the "FootPrint", the more stable the car becomes. It seems to "Center" itself much better.

I put Eibach springs and a camber kit on a few years back
Dont laugh.......Any Idea how many people put Fancy wheels and tires on their cars without considering that????? And then Blame the tires when the car handles like trash?

I learned very early...if you want your car to sound , look, or feel "COOL"....be prepared to make compromises, or have plenty of "Disposable Cash".

Old 04-19-08, 04:58 PM
M
extreme

Has anyone seen a Hummer with 22 inch wheels? Whats the use?. The Maxima looks good and is not extreme if you ask me.
I can see were a wide tire will corner better but to have no sidewall to give if you hit a pothole can be a jarring experience. Also I would think a tall skinney tire would get much better fuel use over a short fat tire.(less rolling resistance).

Old 04-19-08, 05:38 PM
Also I would think a tall skinney tire would get much better fuel use over a short fat tire.(less rolling resistance).
Absolutely......

Just consider that most cars are "OVERDRIVEN" and geared to death from the factory. The taller the tire, the Higher the "Gear Ratio"....(Although the smaller the number....The math always gave me a Migraine)...

HOTINOKC......Just curious, did you have to recal for the speedo...? ..

Old 04-20-08, 06:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by michael van
Has anyone seen a Hummer with 22 inch wheels? Whats the use?.
Of course, how many Hummer owners ever actually take them off the pavement? Used to see a guy around here driving a Jeep Wrangler with about 12" wheels; your basic lowrider Wrangler. Style is in the eye of the beholder. The big wheels look okay on some vehicles and like crap on others; I don't think there's a middle ground.

Old 04-20-08, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by Unclediezel
Meaning "GOOD".....

The Bigger the "FootPrint", the more stable the car becomes. It seems to "Center" itself much better.

Dont laugh.......Any Idea how many people put Fancy wheels and tires on their cars without considering that????? And then Blame the tires when the car handles like trash?

I learned very early...if you want your car to sound , look, or feel "COOL"....be prepared to make compromises, or have plenty of "Disposable Cash".
You are right Uncle. My car is definetly not like it used to be. I feel EVERY bump in the road! I know the setup I have puts more stress on the front end components, and I expect to replace some in the future, but that's life I guess.

ecmans, as Uncle already stated, when I say my car feels like it's on rails, it handles awesome. Very responsive steering! No more body roll...or at least it's minimized greatly.

Old 04-20-08, 09:26 AM
K
I work for a bearing company that makes the hub units for trucks and SUVs. We cringe at some of the things people do with aftermarket wheels. Some of these wheels produce radical offsets that stress the bearings beyond their design limits.... and the present design limits are cut rather thin! Naturally, these wheel setups will void any warranty with the bearing.

Just another price people pay for stylin'.

Old 04-20-08, 10:02 AM
E
ecmans, as Uncle already stated, when I say my car feels like it's on rails, it handles awesome. Very responsive steering! No more body roll...or at least it's minimized greatly.
Thanks. That clears that up. Between that attribute and better gas mileage from these, now I am hemming and hawing a little more on these types of wheel-tire set-ups.

Old 04-20-08, 10:07 AM
E
Originally Posted by Kestas
I work for a bearing company that makes the hub units for trucks and SUVs. We cringe at some of the things people do with aftermarket wheels. Some of these wheels produce radical offsets that stress the bearings beyond their design limits.... and the present design limits are cut rather thin! Naturally, these wheel setups will void any warranty with the bearing.

Just another price people pay for stylin'.
Grrrrr. I goofed somehow while cooking my dinner. Maybe that was NOT a double post afterall.

I submitted asking that you are making it sound then that 18 inch wheels/low profile tires are not designed by the car mfr. and are aftermarket or something?

Old 04-20-08, 10:36 AM
I submitted asking that you are making it sound then that 18 inch wheels/low profile tires are not designed by the car mfr. and are aftermarket or something?

Most 18 inch wheels are aftermarket. A few Mfr use them as OEM, but only on high end models.

The best example I can give you is a "Hot Rod or Car Craft Magazine......

A 1970 Chevy Chevelle never ...ever..was designed to have 22 inch wheels.... While it is true that it may look good...They never go into detail about the excessive Modifications to suspension and steering systems, or the 14 hours the car spent at the alignment shop.

I may catch some dissaproval among the ranks for this comment... But somewhere on this earth, some guy is making 10 times our combined salaries, to come up with a "Functional, practical, durable, and stylish Design for wheels and tires on a particular vehicle. He did the math, and came up with something built around a bigger picture.

Deviating from his design is probably going to compromise one or more of the above design factors.
A big piece of Designing a car for sale to the general public is "Fuel Economy" and "Emissions " standards. If they could add 20 hp to a car, or build it to get 10mpg better fuel economy, Just simply by using bigger wheels......They would have done it at the factory that way.

Old 04-20-08, 08:26 PM
you are right about the factory with cafes if they can get 1 mpg at a reasonable price they will do it. Personaly I wouldn't have low profiles for any reason. But then again my wife says I have no sense of style.
remember Murphy was an optimist

Old 04-21-08, 06:23 PM
E
Speedwrench,

Maybe she'd settle for those hub caps that spin like you're moving, even though you've just stopped. First time I saw THOSE, I thought the guy was doing a burnout at an intersection ,but I could not figure out why there was no engine revving sound or smoke.

Old 04-21-08, 07:40 PM
Maybe she'd settle for those hub caps that spin like you're moving, even though you've just stopped.

When we learned to drive, we were taught that when approaching an intersection, The easiest way to tell that the opposing driver had stopped , was to quickly glance at his wheels..........

Stylish......Maybe.......If youre into them......

BUT THEY ARE A HAZARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-21-08, 08:01 PM
the first time I saw them I thought that something was wrong with the car, then my son told me they were real popular in Ca. All I can say is UGLY.

Life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies.

Old 04-22-08, 10:07 PM
M
Low-profile tires most definitely sustain more impact damage. Generally, the lower the profile the harder the sidewall. There's no give to them when they impact a pothole or curb. Additionally, you risk much more rim damage due to the fact that your sidewalls are shorter which leaves your rim more vulnerable.

Also, low-profile tires generally are made of a softer compound at the tread which lessens their tread life considerably. The further south you are, the more you will have to replace them as they are very prone to wearing quickly in extreme temperatures.

The softer the tire, the better the traction. Like someone else said, the wider the tire, the bigger the footprint. This is the big appeal to lp tires.

The drawback to a large footprint is to use caution in the rain. The wider the footprint, the harder it is to dispurse water completely, thus increasing your chances of hydroplaning.

I worked in the tire industry from years, there is no perfect tire, it's all about compromise. If you want superior handling and performance, go low-profile. If you want longevity and a smoother ride, stick with touring tires (Toyo dominates both options in my opinion.)

18" tires are becoming quite common on OE vehicles nowadays. My new truck came with them (much to my dismay.) The cheap, comfortable, long-lasting 15" option is almost a thing of the past now unfortunately. I wouldn't even think of going off-road with what I have now, however it corners like a car....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: