2004 Saturn Brake Light

Old 04-18-08, 05:58 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2004 Saturn Brake Light

A friend came by with his 2004 Saturn to see if I could help him find out why his left brake light does not work.
The right brake light works ok. The same filament in the lamp is used for the rear turn signal and works ok when the left turn signal is on. Lamp out of the car works ok (both filaments).
Does the stop switch have independent contacts for left and right? Is the problem in the turn signal switch? Absent any wiring diagrams I could not help him much.

Old 04-18-08, 06:43 PM
Is the problem in the turn signal switch?
If so , step on the brake, and wiggle the turn lever. if the brake lts flicker, youve got it nailed.

Also...ensure your checking with the key turned on......

Old 04-19-08, 07:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
brake lights should work key in or not, at least any car i had so far does so. just checked, positive for mitsubishi and chevy.

no, there's no such thing as seperate left and right brake lights, 'ts not turn light.
do simple: pull the working side bulb out and try it in the non-working plug. if it works ok, then it's light bulb. while you on it, before you install new bulbs, lube connectionss with electrician grease.

there's only one brakes fuse, so you have that one ruled out. new brake bulbs are like 6 bucks a pair. take bad one with you so that they'll match it.

Old 04-19-08, 12:34 PM
brake lights should work key in or not, at least any car i had so far does so. just checked, positive for mitsubishi and chevy.
While this is true.....Turn signals do not work with key off....

On the Chevy you mentioned......Just a small experiment....

With the key in your hand, Turn on the left signal....nothing happens..... With the key still in your hand and the left turn signal still engaged, step on the brake....The left BRAKE light doesnt work ..??????

There are no left and right Brake lamps, BUT...On cars that share the HI filament for turn and stop..The turn signal switch must disable brake lights on one side or the other, for the turn signal to "Flash" with the brakes applied.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: