Oxygen sensor

Old 04-22-08, 10:10 PM
Oxygen sensor

I have a 2005 HYUNDAI ACCENT 1.6 Liter. The check engine light came on yesterday. I'm guessing it's the Oxygen sensor. I'm going to Advance auto in the morning for a diagnostic. Assuming it’s the Oxygen sensor; do you have any suggestions/recommendations on how to replace the sensor??? I'd like to do it this weekend. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-08, 10:24 PM
First things first.......Dont assume anything......

An error in assumption could cost you a non returnable electronic part.....In some cases upwards of 2 - 3 hundred dollars......And you may have as many as 4 sensors on some cars.....Yours will definitely , without a doubt, have at least two.

Get it scanned, and if O2 sensors are indeed the problem, YOU NEED TO KNOW WHICH Sensor, and its location.... Upstream, downstream, pre or post catalyst, and how many wires in the sensors harness, and the color of such harness,.......It isnt a simple swap anymore.

Having said that...there are possibly 100 to 150 DIFFERENT reasons for that light to come on...And very few of them are Quick easy and cheap...Spend your time checking and your money fixing....

Old 04-23-08, 03:04 AM
good advice

The above post is good advice dont throw parts at it the stuff is not cheap.
Also it might be a warranty item as emission stuff by law has a longer warranty by law. Not sure how long but you might look into that.

Old 04-23-08, 04:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Since Bens said he was going to get it diagnosed, there is no reason to jump all over him. Cool it dudes.

Bens; if you do it yourself, there may be an offset wrench to buy. Ask at the auto parts store.

Old 04-23-08, 04:33 AM
Group Moderator
Could be something as simple as loose gas cap. An '05 would generally be a little young for an O2 sensor failure, although not unheard of.

Old 04-23-08, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator
I'm with Michael Van

Hyundai has some long warranties, def check with the dealer if possible to see if its covered.

Old 04-23-08, 06:48 AM
Since Bens said he was going to get it diagnosed, there is no reason to jump all over him. Cool it dudes.
No ill intentions meant.........

Not to be a pick..But many parts stores that offer free scans , do not have the knowledge or experience ,Nor are they qualified to make such judgement calls with someone elses money. Many will not "Stand Behind" their diagnosis, and as any professional knows, there is more to it than just reading a code and replacing a part. This was more of a caution statement than a personal Bash. If I came off as harsh....You have my apologies.

Old 04-23-08, 06:56 PM
Thanks for all the info. I will admit I jumped the gun on the sensor based on my past experience with the check engine light. I went to advance auto and the guys did't give me much to go on. they suggested I change the gas cap. I don't remember the code but I'm going to go to another store and see if the store clerk is more knowledgeble. I'll also see if I'm covered by a warrenty but I doubt it. I'll let you know what happens.

Old 04-25-08, 09:58 AM
I just got back from AutoZone. The diagnostic code is P0442.

The PCM Has determined that there is a small leak in the evaporative emission control system.

EVAP small leak/no flow condition.

Probable cause:

1. Fuel cap
2. EVAP canister or hose cracked-not connected
3. Purge or vent solenoid defective
4. Vacuum Leak at engine.

I checked for loose or cracked hoses but found none. Is there anything else I can check before going to the mechanic? Suggestions? I have about 43k on the car. thanks

Old 04-25-08, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
If you're sure you checked ALL the lines from cannister to tank and you've already changed the fuel cap (you said they suggested it, but not that you did), probably time for a mechanic. As michael van pointed out, that new a vehicle should be covered by the OEM emission warranty.

From the Hyundai website:

8 YEAR / 80,000 MILES
FEDERAL EMISSION AND PERFORMANCE WARRANTY

Covers repair or replacement of the following original Hyundai major emissions control components that cause the vehicle to fail to conform to an applicable EPA approved Inspection/Maintenance Program:

1) Catalytic Converter
2) Engine Control Module
3) Onboard Emissions Diagnostic Device (OBDII)

Other EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) emissions warranty parts are covered under the 5 years / 60,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Old 04-25-08, 11:33 AM
See New post ..."Free Code Scans"......

Old 04-25-08, 12:41 PM
I did't change the fuel cap because they do not carry them. I'm not sure where the canister is but I did check every hose/wire I could see. I'll check with the dealer to see if I am coverd. Never thought of it to be quit honest. Thanks

Old 04-25-08, 12:44 PM
evaporative emission control system

That has warranty written all over it to me. And at 43k you are in the ballpark for Free warranty repair.

Old 04-28-08, 06:35 AM
I just got back from the dealer. 2hrs. Scan code P0441. Faulty emission purge control valve. Covered under warranty.
They suggested I have “carbon cleaning” done to the engine to remove carbon buildup that will cause me lots of problems. They connect the engine to a machine to clean it. Only costs $140.00. Has anyone heard of this? Suggestions?
Thanks for all your help.

Old 04-28-08, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator
TAHDAH! We have a winner!

I've heard of that Bens, and if you are experiencing poor performance or gas milage, I understand it can help. But a few tanks of Top Tier gas would probably help as well, and cost much less.

Old 04-28-08, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
TAHDAH! We have a winner!

I've heard of that Bens, and if you are experiencing poor performance or gas milage, I understand it can help. But a few tanks of Top Tier gas would probably help as well, and cost much less.
When you refer to "Top Tier gas" do you mean higher octain or Exxon vs Fuel One for example.

Old 04-28-08, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Got that from reading posts by some of the Pro's here.
Surprisingly, don't even see Exxon on the list.

Old 04-28-08, 01:51 PM
I just got back from the dealer. 2hrs. Scan code P0441. Faulty emission purge control valve. Covered under warranty.
GLAD YOUR FIXED.....

Not to be the PARTY POOPER.....

It matters not at this point , since its fixed , and all you paid was your deductible......

BUT..... Consider that the dealership gets paid from the Manufacturer for warranty Claims.....If they did something simple like tighten a gas cap, or reconnect a hose....They wouldnt get paid.......Often repairs at Manufacturers expense are "PADDED" so they can collect.

The "CARBON CLEANING" at your expense is the giveaway.

Just food for thought......
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=343329
Take a quick look thru this...it explains "CARBON CLEANING" and why we should or should not love it.

Old 04-29-08, 05:06 AM
Group Moderator
A three year old vehicle??? UD beat me to it; that $140 "carbon cleaning" is a profit center for the garage, nothing more. Also, there is much debate on the concept of "top-tier" gasoline use. FWIW I gas up regularly at Sam's Club.

Old 04-29-08, 01:34 PM
I found a Shell station (Top Tier) on my way to work. Prices are pennies difference, if any, from "no name gas" so I'll fill up at Shell when I can. I fill up once a week!!!

As far as carbon cleaning I don't like paying for something I have no Idea if I really need nor can tell the difference when the work is done. Like Slick 50 and other gas additives . Do I need it and does it work?????

Old 04-29-08, 01:56 PM
Group Moderator
Of course that opens another whole can of worms if you are concerned about the source of the crude the gas started as. Shell is a MAJOR middle east petroleum buyer; has been for decades.

Old 04-30-08, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
No ill intentions meant.........

Not to be a pick..But many parts stores that offer free scans , do not have the knowledge or experience ,Nor are they qualified to make such judgement calls with someone elses money. Many will not "Stand Behind" their diagnosis, and as any professional knows, there is more to it than just reading a code and replacing a part. This was more of a caution statement than a personal Bash. If I came off as harsh....You have my apologies.
I agree and PRACTICE this BUT THAT PISSES OFF MOST CUSTOMERS! They get mad at me and say "Well if you don't want to help me I will just bring my business somewhere else" Then proceed to tell other employees I am rude and not helpful to them. People that come in and get that scan done are expecting A CODE READ TO PINPOINT THE EXACT PROBLEM IN THE VEHICLE WITHOUT TESTING ANYTHING.

Search this Thread