Belt tensioning tool

Old 04-24-08, 04:24 AM
Belt tensioning tool

I am looking for a tool to check timing belt tension. There seem to be 2 aftermarket tools, one by Krikit and one by ZDMAK. Anyone ever used them? Recommendations?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-08, 06:36 AM
I have used a krikit for v-belts and it was a good tool, but both look good, I guess that you should consider acess to what you are working on as I think that will be the main consideration.
Murphy was an optimist

Old 04-24-08, 09:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
two rulers won't do? by any chance, is that a mitsubishi? oh, did i have headache with their timing belt and balancer belt tensioners!

Old 04-24-08, 09:28 AM
the rule of thumb is that you should be able to twist the belt about 90 degrees along its longest length using moderate thumb and finger pressure. sometimes a belt tension gauge is just impossible to get in where you need it to be. many timing belts are self tensioned. in other words, there is a pretensioning procedure followed by the installation of a gas charged device which levers the tensioner pulley. I always check after no matter what i've installed the belt on. a quarter turn or twist of the belt is good. if you can turn it more than that, it's too loose...less and it's too tight.

Old 04-24-08, 01:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
let me bring some clarification to what i said before. you take 2 metal rulers, one long enough to span 2 pullies you have timing belt on. put long ruler with streight edge against the belt surface, spanning those 2 pullies. midway between the pullies, press with the 2nd ruler down on the belt to deflect it. read how much mm-s or inches the diflection is. find proper chart for your specific car and compare. old, proven method.

it's timing belt. it's not drive belt. it is wide/strong and should be under considerable tension. you should not be able to twist it. as a matter of fact, i'll expand this statement to a serpentine belt either. drivebelts are different animal. shape is different.

Old 04-24-08, 09:12 PM
Rob Miles wrote: (reprinted by permission)
One more method of setting the timing belt tension is that there should be approx. 5/16" of deflection from center possible midway between the cam sprocket and the crankshaft sprocket, about where the head meets the block. Also, 90 degrees twist should just be possible midway between the cam sprocket and the intermediate sprocket.

Manufacturers have different ways of determining proper tension...measuring clearances, measruing belt deflection...some by just performing the procedure correctly. As i stated in my previous post, belt twist is a rule of thumb...one i've used successfully on probably a couple hundred timing belts ranging from the DOHC Mits 3000GT VR4 to the simple Mazda built 1.9L of the early 90's. I guess it's up to the OP according to why he needs to determine the belt tension of the belt in question. My way works for me...don't knock it til you try it.

Old 04-25-08, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the input. This is for a Porsche 968. I have since discovered that it has a hydraulic tensioner, so should not need a gauge (I thought it was a spring tensioner, which may need adjustment). I may invest in the Krikit for the Vbelts, however.

Thanks for the input!