D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2004 explorer, putting transmission fluid in

HELP!!!! if anyone knows how to do this please help

Old 04-28-08, 12:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
One of two ways; if there's a dipstick you pour it down the dipstick hole. Wild guess, but perhaps you've looked and there is no dipstick. A number of vehicles now have dipstick-less trannies. Fluid is added through filler plug in the side of the tranny case, generally like doing a differential; you put some in until it runs out the hole. This one is a bit more involved:

Some info that may help:

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl066i.htm

Old 04-28-08, 01:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by DavidLussier
HELP!!!! if anyone knows how to do this please help
is it manual or automatic? if automatic, it does not have drain plug, huh?
for manual, you'll have no dipstick. gear oil level is checked via check window, covered by a large head bolt, usually about half way up on transmission. you take it out and stick your finger inside, should touch the oil level. same is used for refills. at the lowest point of manual transmission there should be another opening, covered with another bolt, and that is drain plug for the gear oil, also known as "manual transfer case lubricant", as it sometimes says on a can of it.
go to libray and find chilton repair manual for your car, it'll have schematics.
invaluable tool for such situations is a handheld pump from any parts store. usually comes with about 3-4 feet of hose of size small enough to fit into either filler hole or dipstick pipe. totally invaluable and totally worth roughtly 20 bucks paid for it.
if you have automatic - as it does have (automatic) transmission fluid, so i assume you do, and you have no drain plug in the fluid pan, then most likely you can suck it out through the dipstick pipe, which should be wide enough for the above mentioned device. at the same time, you use the same pipe for refills, just will need a suitable funnel to fit in.
if you have a very short dipstick, like i had on my CR-V, it is still usefull for adding fluid, with the same device again, as mine was well hidden underneath all kinds of accessories.
sorry i went into all the lengthy spiel on how to remove old fluid, but one never knows.

Old 04-28-08, 01:41 PM
AS mentioned, MAny cars and light trucks no longer have a dipstick. They are filled at the factory, and Do not "REQUIRE" periodic maintenance.

Ford products REQUIRE special procedures to fill a "Factory service only " transmission. There is a temp sensor which must be "Warmed " with a blow dryer before checking fluid levels. JUst an opinion....But if it isnt leaking.....leave it alone...

If it is leaking...take it to a Trans shop...Overfilling these units is more lethal than running them DRY....From a DIY standpoint..It isnt worth the trouble or the risk.

From a Tech standpoint...In the shop...I wont touch them unless I absolutely MUST.

Old 04-28-08, 02:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
and mercedes charges $1300 to change oil on a year old slk, and drain plug is locked by a lock that only dealership has key to.
like beatles sang: "it's getting better aaaaalll the tiiiiime..."

hey, i was not joking. an associate has that car.

anyways, bad news for Explorer owner:

According to the owner's manual, there really isn't any way to monitor this on your own, it instructs you to bring it to a "qualified technician". It also states that there is no dipstick that allows you to check it yourself. Not much help when you've accidentally drained it trying to change your oil. so, no dipstick, no refill DIY. good for ford, bad for you.
the word out is that they put some corrosive fluid into trannies, that eats solenoids alive, and they go boynk every xxxxx miles. what can i say. 1st ford i bought cost me in repairs fourfold what i paid for it.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 04-29-08 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-28-08, 02:14 PM
The Key is available from any mercedes Dealership for a mere 2000 dollars

Old 04-29-08, 05:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Mercedes owners worry about stuff like that???

Had a female price checker yesterday trying to decide whether to try to drive her '04 BMW to the dealership (30 miles) or have it towed (check engine light & possible coolant problem!); don't know what she decided.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: