Seat belt computer tempo

Old 04-29-08, 04:13 AM
Seat belt computer tempo

Hello,
I have an 89 Ford Tempo all wheel drive , The problem is , the seat belts have quit working on it , i mean the shoulder belts the ones that trap you in when you close the door ,question is , is there a computer that operates those seat belts , or what other problems could be present to make them quit working , any idea where computer would be if it has one ,
thanks in advance
reed

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-08, 07:12 AM

Nope.... there is no "SEAT BELT COMPUTER". There may be a "Retractor Module" in the door pillar, but Im not sure about your year.

It is basically an electric motor that works off of a door jamb switch. Very similar in operation to a power window.

Motors are notoriously bad, but check it first. If I remember, those motors are obsolete from Ford, so salvage may be your only bet.

Old 04-29-08, 01:16 PM
if they both failed at the same time its likely an electrical problem would search for a wiring diagram to help you trace it down.
if they did not both quit at the same time it was a common problem for the coating to wear out on the cable and jam inside the track unfortuantly it used to require replacement of the whole unit and probably still does.

Old 04-29-08, 08:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
to my best knowledge, and pundits here will bash me right on, but seat belts are LIFETIME warrented by all manufacturers. even by f-ord.

Old 04-29-08, 08:40 PM
to my best knowledge, and pundits here will bash me right on, but seat belts are LIFETIME warrented by all manufacturers. even by f-ord.
Not entirely true....the belts themselves are warrantied for life.....Mechanical and electric retractors are not.

Old 04-29-08, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
Not entirely true....the belts themselves are warrantied for life.....Mechanical and electric retractors are not.

best way to find - call your dealer and find out. i was next to junk yard shopping for one for my ranger and for my honda, when i found this. including retractors. the whole kaboodle.

Old 04-30-08, 05:57 AM
somehow i can't edit my previous post, so new one it is.
anyways, i have it confirmed for hondas, nissans, ford ranger, and mitsubishi. seatbelt system is covered under lifetime. retractors are covered as part of the system. some dealerships will attempt to charge diagnostic fee. some folks say that it depends how much you raise your voice. some had to call national rep.
apperently, it is for usa only. consent is - due to lawsuits and some acts of congress to protect consumers/drivers. i did not really get into that.
canada is said to have only 100 000 miles one.
all this is pertinant to younger than 1990/japanese makes, but i'd firmly inquire with stealership's manager(ranger is mazda truck). it simply means that so far, i could not find any case of pre-1990 vehicle that had either safety belts system or frayed belts replaced at no cost. repairs or replacements were done to frayed belts, cracked buckles, systems where belts do not retrect by themselves (like i had in my CRV and ranger), under circumstance of normal wear and tear, so don't cut them with knives. so, it's either mulfunction or potential hazard.
stained belts do not fall into this category, so coffee spills - naah-aahh.
buzzers, warning lights, beepers, plastic caps, other cosmetic items relevant to safety belt system, are not repaired, as far as the system works properly.
it is possible that this(warrenty) does not apply to vehicles with salvage title, i could not find definitive answer. all i know f-ord stealership told me they'll fix it, but then again, i did not tell them over the phone that it's salvaged title.

Old 04-30-08, 07:14 AM
tempo seatbelt question

hello ,
i already have three other parts cars here that i can probably find the part i need off of , but problem is where is it , i know that this thred says it could be electrical, and that that it has a life time warrenty , but problem is that theyll charge ya a arm and a leg to replace a defective part , in other words they going to get ya somewhere , this old car aint worth spending money on , i bought it probably 10 yrs ago , wrecked with saldvaged title fixed it had it inspected , drove it for years , now wanting to fix it and sell it , its a good running lil car though , ive been a paint and body man for 15 yrs basically working on old cars , but do have experience in the not so new cars , so finding the problem is my main concern rite now , got to get them shoulder belts working so i can sell it and get them fixed saftley , the problem started off very gradually just every once in a while it would get stuck and if sometimes yu pulled on it it woul work , i replaced one of the motors and tracks it worked one time then quit , does sound like an electrical problem to me but problem is i cant find it , may have to trace them wires back to their power source, or even better strip one of the pars cars that i have ,see where the wires go to , yull have to cuse me for rambling on i just a redneck from ga lololol so all said folks go ahead and let me have it , redneck wont do nuthing but got to the creek and pout lolololol
thanks in advance ,
reed