A/C pully bearing

Old 05-01-08, 04:00 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C pully bearing

my 96 pontiac sunfire 2.4L. My A/C bearing is at the end of its life, it squeals like no other at times. I do beleave the pump shaft is still good but the bearing is shot. I was told i should replace the whole a/c pump but wouldn't it still work if i replaced the bearing? the pump does not kick on at all but has a/c pressure left in the system.

I plan on fixing this some time down the road if it does not give out. i have to pay off a few things first.

Old 05-01-08, 04:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
Lot of trouble on a component that could easily fail later for some other reason. I would just replace it with a reman.

If there's pressure in the system, i.e. sufficient refrigerant, the system should engage unless you have a blow fuse or bad relay, bad pressure switch, bad clutch, or some other problem. Sounds as though you may be dealing with multiple problems.

Old 05-01-08, 06:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
i have been exactly in your shoes. not same car, same situation. donno about others, but here what i went through:
1. .....ship refused to sell a bearing and wanted to sell the whole compressor, mucho mucho dinero
2. found aftermarket clutch with bearing, less dinero, but still a lot.
3. removing compressor ment to depressurize the system and then recharge it again, extra dinero
4. spent about 1 hr, removed clutch, yanked bearing out, went to NAPA - no avail, went to Autozone - no avail, Advanced autoparts - same story. buy compressor or clutch
5. finally, bless their hearts, went to CarQuest guys in Hermitage, TN. they measured bearing with caliper, pulled one off the shelf, $8 plus pennies. ever since then, i bought everything from them only, passing the other 3 stores on the way to.
so, it's up to you, if you want to mess with discharging the system, removing compressor, replacing compressor, recharging the system. i have no idea how your clutch is positioned, but whatever human hands put together - other hands can take apart. it took me 1 hr on Expo LRV, and only those who own that car or Eclipse, know what i'm taking about. clearence to get to anything on the drive belt side is about 3/4 inch.

Old 05-01-08, 06:57 PM
you should be able to pull the clutch without discharging the system. you will have to loosen the compressor and tilt it for clearance, I would not replace just the bearing though. replace the clutch and inspect the magnet to make sure that it has not over heated and started to loose its insulation. most of the time the bearing goes bad from exess heat. could be from the clutch slipping.
Murphy was an optimist

Old 05-01-08, 07:57 PM
squeeling isn't normally associated with bearing failures...they usually roar or growl.

is it possible that you have a bad belt tensioner and perhaps it's the belt making the noise?

I also wonder if you have more than one problem...a bad bearing won't keep the compressor clutch from engaging.

some special tools may be involved to remove the drive plate and then the pulley...and also to reinstall them.

you may or may not be able to do the job with the compressor still attached to the vehicle...more special tools and equipment involved if the refrigerant has to be recovered. it's against the law to discharge it into the atmosphere not to mention it's environmentally unethical.

i teand to agree with uncle diesel on ac work...it's not a great DIY thing.

Old 05-04-08, 09:47 AM
G
I am sure it's the bearing because i can see shaving in side the clutch. I had to replace the belt a couple days ago. so while the belt was of i spon all the pulleys and th one tha t made the most noise was the a/c pully.

Old 05-04-08, 05:36 PM
the compressor drive hub must be removed first with a special puller.then there is a large snap ring that retains the bearing on the snout of the compressor. the bearing supports the pully, remove the snap ring being careful not to over expand it, you have to reuse it. then there is another puller made specifically for compressor pulleys, remove the pulley and the bearing presses into the back of the pulley. you should use a press to remove and install the new bearing while properly supporting the pulley so as not to bend it.

Old 05-04-08, 06:42 PM
With Great care.......

The pulley/ bearing assembly fits over the "NOSE" of the compressor....After removing the clutch plate, and the snap ring..... Very seldom does the assembly slide off.. and the compressor nose is extremely fragile.....

Just food for thought......

There are 3 things that wear a pulley bearing.....

The belt is too tight, AGE, or...The compressor is dragging. Rule out the belt , you have an auto tensioner..... The pulley is just as old as the compressor....

It might be wise to replace the compressor and clutch , before spending extra money on something that is doomed anyway....

Old 05-04-08, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
That was my thought early on, U-D; 12 year old part and probably has 150,000 miles on it. Replacing parts on it sounded like the road to disappointment 6 months down the road when the internals fail. Throw the dice.

Old 05-09-08, 05:24 PM
G
ok i will keep that in mind when i try to fix it some time when i get the money.
This is what i did a few days ago I by passed the ac pressure sensor with a paper clip and the car boged down a little but when i tried to give it some gas it tried to stall out. the compresssed did not kick in. I talked to my teacher and ever he said my compreser is froze. so i pluged it back in like its suppose to be. i thought this would last longer being that it ony has 120,000 on it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: