Missed Class Action, need intake manifold work

Old 05-03-08, 02:20 PM
Missed Class Action, need intake manifold work

My son has 2000 Grand Am Se 3.4L, 130k miles; recently found out DexCool class action suit is not covered after 7yrs! Those GM lawyers are slippery. Anyway, his lower intake manifold gaskets are shot from coolant. I'm looking for a good mechanic's reference besides Haynes or Chiltons. We have those two and have not been too impressed with accuracy of either in past experience. Any suggestions for other reference on how to do this myself would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-08, 02:24 PM
Group Moderator
You can always purchase an AllData subscription on-line; same info the garages use (except they pay BIG bucks to be able to access every make/model vice only one).

Old 05-03-08, 03:21 PM
nap
THE absolute best I have found are actual manufactures manuals.

The local library happens to have a very complete set of all major manufactures as well as many less common manufactures.

Maybe you will be as blessed.

Old 05-03-08, 03:31 PM
Other than 3 very specific warnings....

It is pretty much straight forward......

1---Caution and care must be taken when removing the fuel line....The o-ring usually stays in the rail, and then falls out when you arent looking.

2-The coolant tube sticks in the manifold, and is very easily broken, --Take the extra time and care to "Leave it attached" to the manifold and fish the manifold out.
3- Carefully MARK THE PUSHRODS when theyre removed.....Intake and exhaust are 2 different sizes.

The manifold extends UNDER the Valvecovers, so you will need to remove them...If youre brave, and loosen the coilpack, remove the two "Inner V/C " bolts and slip the manifold out, but It is usually not a "Time Saver" unless youve done it before....And can be a bit more difficult to reassemble.

Old 05-03-08, 07:23 PM
I've done this repair on my GM vehicle and did it in one weekend by myself.
I'm not a professional mechanic but have very good car knowllege and skills not to mention my friends help here.

I did use the library's shop manual for refference.

CAUTION_when re-torqueing the lower manifold do not overtighten the bolts or you will strip out the threads in the head.

I had a friend who had a special tap and thread kit called a "Timecert Kit" to fix the stripped threads that worked like a charm.

TIP_ I did not have to disconnect the fuel rails and injectors I just tied the fuel system up high out of the way and hung it to my hood with wire.
It saved me alot of grief and made re-assembly a breeze.
Also disconnect the battery and releive the fuel pressure at the fuel rail just in case.

Make sure you pick up OEM maniflold gasket kit and use the correct sealant. Just ask the GM guy at the parts counter, he'll know exactly what you need because they go through tons of these kits.

Best of luck!

Old 05-04-08, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the tips and suggestions,, all good information,, I will probably try this in 1 or 2 weeks. Have printed out all the reply's and will make sure I dont miss anything as the job goes on.. I havn't needed to work inside an engine for 25 yrs, (put a 3/4 race cam in a '70 el camino,, grin,),

thanks again,, have a great week!

Old 05-04-08, 07:59 PM
TIP_ I did not have to disconnect the fuel rails and injectors I just tied the fuel system up high out of the way and hung it to my hood with wire.
True... But if you just loosen the fuel rail, You can nudge it just enough to fish the bolts out past the rail..Saves the aggravation of trying to get the O-rings to sit back down without tearing them....Just leave the rail on the manifold and take it all out as one piece.

The "Younger " guys at my shop wont take these tickets, so I snatch them up. Its a quick and easy way to Scream thru a day.....I have done as many as 5 in a day, and after the first few, I have them down to about 2.5 to 3 hours each.

Take your time, and pay attention, and you will have nothing to lose sleep over.

Just a note... As mentioned....Go to a GM parts dealer for these.....The aftermarket ones just arent the same quality.
And as much as it pains you........Only use the DEXCOOL to refill the system when your done....