97 Aerostar rear lift gate strut is stuck

Old 05-10-08, 10:59 AM
Unhappy 97 Aerostar rear lift gate strut is stuck

I have a 1997 Ford Aerostar XLT. There are two struts that support the rear lift gate. The upper bolt that holds the Strut recently broke with the door closed. The strut snapped open to its full length. This is the second time it has happened.
I replaced the bolt, $4 from Ford Dealer, but this time I cannot compress the strut to connect it back to the bolt.
I know how to take it off of the bolt using a small screwdriver and I have taken both ends off so I could try to compress it but it won't budge.
I did not have this much trouble last time and I am wondering if maybe there is a safety device inside that is locking it open.
Any ideas on how I can compress this strut to get it reconnected? Or is it permanently locked open and I need to replace it? It is only short about 1/4" but it won't move.
The name on the side of the strut says "Stabilus".

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-08, 11:07 AM
it more than likely is damaged, did you try compressing by useing your body weight pushing down? some are very strong but none should support you that way.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 05-10-08, 12:40 PM
Yes, I put all my weight on it, but nothing moves.
I was hoping it is just a safety feature that I can bypass by turning it this way or that way while doing something else at the same time.

Old 05-10-08, 04:09 PM
nope, it has damaged it self internally. spring for a new one.

remember Murphy was an optimist