Squeal

Old 05-14-08, 08:45 AM
Squeal

Folks:
I have a chrysler 300m with seventy seven thousand
miles on it. I have a squel coming fron my front end when I make a right turn. It sounds like the noise brakes make when
they need replacing.The struts are original but there doesn't seen to be any problem there.This happens when no brakes
are applied.this happens even if the car is cold. I would appreciate any and all advise. Thank you in advance
Ron

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-08, 11:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
1. is it at full turn to the max? or it's anywhere during the right turn?
2. can you tell if it's coming from the undercarriage area, or from engine compartment?
3. did you hit any bump or things of that nature lately, esp when turning?
4. is it rubbing squeel? or is it more of rythmic, rpms related noise? is it dull or high pitch? is it speed relevant?
5. can you feel it in the floor or pedals? steering wheel?

try to drive next to a buddy in a parking lot, turning right. it is easier to locate noise from the outside, metal is extremely good noise conductor and is very deceiving.

Old 05-14-08, 04:41 PM
ukrkoz
Thank you for your reply.The squeel happens om any kind of turn partial or full.It seems to be coming fron the right front wheel.I have no memory of hitting a bump and there is no visiable damage.I would say rythmic.It is not speed related it happens at any speed more noticable when going slow.IT is
high pitched you can here it a block away.I can't feel it in the steering wheel or the pedal.The noise is just like the sueel you here when you need to change your brake pads.I hope this will help. Thank you for your effort Ron

Old 05-14-08, 05:06 PM
Check your brakes - sounds like the wear indicator starting to hit.

Old 05-14-08, 06:14 PM
Does it do it at all when you are driving straight? Does the pitch change at any time?
Billy

Old 05-14-08, 06:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As ukrkoz said, front end noises can be hard to locate. It could be the brake warning indicator, or it could be the power steering pump needing to be "burped".

Old 05-14-08, 07:22 PM
ok, so:
we have 77K miles on
noise does not come up driving streight or turning left
no visible or remebered damage to the front end
no transfer through the body/undercarriage/steering components

i'd safely assume it is related to turning right and probably not related to brakes, as that will manifest itself at any braking.

i'd guess on two things first: splash shield damage on the right side hub and wheel rubbing on something. wheel, not tire. apperently it's metal on metal noise.
2nd guess would be hub bearing going bad
3rd guess would be steering pump/belt.

my assumptions are based on noise described as high pitched metal rubbing noise. thus, something must be rubbing metal on metal while turning, thus shield/wheel idea. bearing is turning also. belt squeek can be oh so easily taken for metal rub noise, as i have learned not so long ago. and, as it's related to turning, pump can make a nasty noise sometimes.
i'd love to listen to that noise!

i'd jackstand the front completely, raise the bonnett()), turn engine on, get it in the 1st gear, stand outside, and ask someone to turn the wheel for me and see what happens. that should be very easy to spot the noise origin.
if it does not squeal with tires not touching the ground - then it's strut or spring, or hub bearing, as they are offloaded and friction between the metal parts is removed.

PS. ok, just an idea. honda cr-v had tsb issued on rubbing noise coming from engine compartment during sharp left turns. reason being, there was not enough clearance between engine and passanger side frame, resulting in engine mount rubbing on frame. cure was to losen mounts on the driver side, push engine that way, and retighten the mount bolts. left turn only, mind you. similar. in leu of this, i'd check if you have pullies on that side and if there are any signs of them rubbing on frame. see what i mean? powertrain moves left-right when you turn.

Old 05-15-08, 06:59 PM
Something I just thought of after re-reading your post. I saw this recently and since you live in a coastal state it is highly likely. I would look at the dust shield on the ball joints. It is possible that the dust shield has some build up and is contacting the back side of the brake rotor and when the rotor is loaded. ie, when you turn, the contact becomes more apparent thus causing the squeal you are hearing.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 05-16-08, 05:22 AM
Folks:
Problem solved.The backing plate(I think that's what its called) was rusted.I think what was happening when I turned
right the weight shift caused it to rub.I bent the plate back out and test drove the car no more noise.Thank you everyone for your input---Ron

Old 05-16-08, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by RONALD5862 View Post
Folks:
Problem solved.The backing plate(I think that's what its called) was rusted.I think what was happening when I turned
right the weight shift caused it to rub.I bent the plate back out and test drove the car no more noise.Thank you everyone for your input---Ron
woo-hoo! i love easy fixes! was my 1st guess, right? wheels do lean out when turning, and that moves parts some or puts them at uneasy angle.
glad for you, friend!