98 Prizm Headliner

Old 05-15-08, 12:58 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
98 Prizm Headliner

I am a smoker and have worn out the headliner. Its sagging in one spot and starting to separate from the foam at the front windshield. So I'm thinking of replacing it/ repairing it.

I cannot find details on how to remove it. The visors have screws - should be no problem. There are three popouts along the rear windshield - should be no problem. The rearview mirror and passenger assist handles don't show any signs of how to remove. Is there some sort of standard on which way they will slide to be removed?

Any help, advice would be appreciated

Old 05-15-08, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Automotive engineers are very good at engineering that stuff. I did one on an Olds 88 not too long ago. On that one I had to remove all the screwed on stuff plus the door pillar trim pieces (between the front and rear doors), plus the trim at the edges of the windshield and rear window. Those trim pieces came off by sliding them "up"; this disengaged them from the plastic tabs holding them in place. The courtesy handles I found out how to do by trial and error. I had gotten a replacement from the junkyard (this was a project car) and I actually broke one on the junker before I figured it out. On that one there were some tabs that pulled out which released the locking mechanism. Sort of reminded my of a drywall anchor that expands when you thread the screw into in. Probably have to look REALLY close to find the secret; like I said they are VERY good at hiding the stuff in order to maintain appearance. The rearview mirror maybe has a trim piece that pops off to reveal the screws/bolts holding it in?

Late thought, maybe visit a local junkyard to see if they have a similar model in partial disassembly you could eyeball.

Old 05-17-08, 04:41 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm going to the pull and pay this weekend to see if there is one worth the effort.

Old 05-17-08, 06:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
You may not find one (and it will be as old as yours), but maybe you can at least get an idea on how the hardware comes off. If the guys there are friendly they should be able to give you a class on Headliners 101. The headliner I had to do was for a car with nothing in it - no shell. If your shell is still intact, some fabric stores (Jo-Ann Fabrics for one) carry the foam-backed headliner material and you can redo yours. And surprisingly, it's not real expensive. One key is you have to use the absolute best spray-on contact cement you can find. There is stuff made just for that type application.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: