Replaceing power window motor

Old 05-16-08, 09:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replaceing power window motor

On a 98 ford windstar passenger side .im trying to replace the power window motor without replacing the regulator. if that is possible how do i get the window to drop down ? i took the two bolts out that are suppose to stabilize the reg. that helped none.any help would be appreciatted.

Old 05-17-08, 06:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
Judging by the ones shown here:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...7265+1616+9329

that looks like the plain vanilla Ford window motor. You have to R&R that with the window UP. If you drop the window you will lose a lot of working space in the door cavity. Not even sure you can do the motor with the window down. Once you have the window supported (two blocks of wood and a c-clamp work good), you usually just need to drill out the attaching rivets; I think it has three. The replacement motor is installed with very short bolts and self-locking nuts. Most people don't have access to a big enough rivet tool to use rivets. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you have to mess with regulator hardware at all.

Old 05-17-08, 09:06 AM
replacing power window motor

Ive already drilled out the rivets,but the rivets have little clips inside the door panel. so i guess i need to knock them loose to free the unit ,right. also if and when the unit is free do i need to secure the spring mechanism before i take the motor bolts out ? wont the spring fly loose once the gear and motor are removed? thanks for any help my door panel is off and my wife is not a happy camper.

Old 05-28-08, 04:12 PM
power window motor

thanks to everyone im done with project.

Old 05-28-08, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
Sorry I missed that last in-process post, Roe. So, was it as hard as you thought it would be? Share the good and the bad with us for other members benefit.

Old 05-28-08, 08:13 PM
power window motor

To be honest ,i cheated a little. i i left the top bracket in that holds the window and slid the slides out from the top bracket by bending a little piece of metal on one end .put the new slides from the new bracket into the top old bracket and bent the little metal clip to hold the slide from coming out of the bracket. everthing else was a piece of cake. i put bolts in mine and some i had to cut off to clear the moving parts. i used quarter inch bolts and lock washers. you dont have much more room than that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: