1991 Honda Accord Rotors

Old 03-18-04, 06:07 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1991 Honda Accord Rotors

My girlfriend has a 1991 honda accord LX 4-door sedan. Front brakes and rotors need to be replaced. Can anyone confirm for me whether or not I need to remove the center nut (for the hub), in order to remove the rotor?

There's a plate in front of the rotor, that is attached by 4 bolts, to the rotor. I was able to separate the rotor from the plate, but the plate won't budge.

Any insight is appreciated.

Old 03-18-04, 06:43 PM
Big job. That rotor is bolted to the hub which is pressed into the hub bearing. If your changing the rotor, buy a bearing now and send the whole knuckle to the machine shop to press out and change. The bearing will likely be damaged in the process.

Old 03-18-04, 07:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A shop equiped to do these will be worth the price they charge. I will do most brake jobs myself, but not a Honda. Sent my son-in-law to the shop for his.

Old 03-22-04, 07:56 PM
J
OK, for those who haven't had the joy of this job. Where's what I've done so far. In order to pull the transaxle out of the bearing, you need to remove the bolt on the lower ball joint, and pull the arm off, this give you enough room to pull the rotor and and all, out of the way of the transaxle. Then once I get that done, you need a 12 point socket to remove the four bolts on the back side. (and no you can't get at these bolts with out removing the transaxle first. the CV joint prevents you from getting a socket in wrench in there). Then once you get that done, I was hoping all would just fall apart. not the case. That's as far as I've gotten. Has anyone been able to remove the bearing and hub? How do I remove it? Do I have to remove the upper arm, too and take that whole unit to a machine shop?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-23-04, 12:23 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
if you take too much apart, you might disturb the alignment settings and need a front end alignment when you're done.

on older (early 90's, late 80's) dodge colts(imports), i take off the axle nut, bolt on a slide hammer and pull the rotor and half the bearing off. this gets resurfaced on the lathe(or replaced) and bolted together using the axle nut to draw it back together. the tapered roller bearings look destroyed, but it pulls right back together and works quietly when done.

not saying this is how your honda is, but it seems most imports have a common theme on how parts work and come apart.

Old 03-23-04, 01:42 AM
phantom
Visiting Guest
excellent mike

Old 03-23-04, 04:16 AM
D
I vote for the machine shop with the press,I've never been able to slidehammer an Accord rotor off and trust me we tried a 10 lb one and it didn't even budge.It will work on most other cars though.

Old 03-27-04, 07:49 PM
J
mission accomplished. I ended up taking the entire steering knuckle off the car, and bringing to a garage to press out the bearing, replace the rotor, and then put it all back together, pressing in a new bearing. Put it all back together, and brought it back to the same garage the next day for an alignment.

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-28-04, 12:43 PM
Just to add a little information on this particular job. I have done many of them. The entire knuckle must be removed and the hub pressed out before the rotor can be removed for machining or replacement. Also I have never HAD to replace the bearing. As long as it is done properly the bearing should be fine.
Hope this helps,
Billy

Old 03-28-04, 02:12 PM
I slidehammer the hub out on the car and draw it back together with the axle nut but that doesn't work for everybody.

Old 03-29-04, 05:08 AM
J
Just found out from my girlfriend, that they did a 4-wheel alignment, and not just the front end. does it make sense that they would have to do a 4-wheel alignment?

Old 03-29-04, 01:36 PM
ALL FWD vehicles should be aligned this way

because the handling of these designs is VERY affected by the rear. aligning all wheels according to the centerline of the vehicle is really the proper way. during 4 wheel alignment, 2 extra reference points are added to the process by installing the rear sensors/projectors...that's how the machine forms the geometry of the suspension.

Old 03-29-04, 05:03 PM
It's not really a choice. The design of the vehicle determines what type of alignment the car takes. You can't just do half of it. The front takes it's reference from the rear.

Old 06-17-08, 07:52 AM
T
1991 honda accord rotor replacement

Originally Posted by joatmon
My girlfriend has a 1991 honda accord LX 4-door sedan. Front brakes and rotors need to be replaced. Can anyone confirm for me whether or not I need to remove the center nut (for the hub), in order to remove the rotor?

There's a plate in front of the rotor, that is attached by 4 bolts, to the rotor. I was able to separate the rotor from the plate, but the plate won't budge.

Any insight is appreciated.
This job is a pain but there is a puller made for this job. The puller is very simple to use. I dont know if theres places to rent it or not, I was able to borrow one from a mechanic. After removing the axle nut (36mm), caliper, and caliper hanger you need to remove the four bolts that hold on the rotor (14mm), once rotor is loose rotate a little so the holes do not line up. Now for the puller, it attaches to the wheel studs and has four pins that will go through the four holes for the rotor bolts, as you tighten the bolt on the puller the four pins use the rotor as a backing. This tool will pull the hub from the bearings with ease. I was able to pull the hub leaving the bearings where there suppose to be. Once the hub was removed I attached the new rotor to the hub then slid the hub and rotor assembly back through the bearings and using the axle nut i pulled it all back together. Reassembled the caliper hanger and caliper with new pads of course and the job was done. This job with this puller was pretty simple, without it I wish you luck...

Old 06-17-08, 09:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
You're posting to a 4+ year old thread, tbski; I would hope he's gotten the job finished by now.

Old 06-18-08, 10:00 AM
J
tow guy -

touche! The job is definitely done. The car is long gone, and so is the girlfriend for that matter. :-)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: