Caliper Slide Service

Old 05-21-08, 03:19 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Caliper Slide Service

My father is going to change my front rotors and brakes of my 2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS. I heard that the dealer recommends you have a "Caliper Slide Service" done at certain intervals. What is this? Is it something he can do? If so, How? Is it necessary to do as soon as the brakes and rotors are changed? Thanks for your help!!!!

Old 05-21-08, 06:26 PM
"Caliper Slide Service" is simply lubricating the hardware. The hardware that needs lubricated ocassionally is the bolts and the areas where metal may come into contact with other metalic areas.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 05-21-08, 08:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
all you have to do to sell simple job to a layman is to come up with some fancy word for it. shish!

as a matter of fact, it is good to clean/lub contact and friction points on caliper every year, won't hurt. i lub caliper monting bolts/slides, and any areas of contact between brake pads and caliper. lately started lubbing back of the caliper side pad, where it contacts caliper piston.

result should be simple: caliper should slide easily on the slides, maybe a fourth of an inch back and forth. that insures even brake pads wear on either side.

if you rotate your tires yourself, checking on this and doing appropriate maintenance to brakes same time is a good idea.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: