How to trun off "Change oil light"

Old 05-27-08, 09:01 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to trun off "Change oil light"

I just bought a 2001 Chevy Silverado truck from the dealers last month. The oil and filter was changed before I picked up the truck. Only put on about a 1,000 miles and now my Change Oil Light keeps coming on every time I start the truck. The oil stills looks clean, don't know how to turn it off so it doesn't keep coming back on. Also why would it come on so soon? Does it come on after so many miles to remind you change the oil?

Old 05-27-08, 09:21 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
if it is a similar system to my wifes 2000 Pontiac, the light comes on based upon several factors which include mileage and some other factors I am not too sure about.

To reset my wifes light, you turn the key to "run" but do not start the vehicle. Then within (I think it is 10 seconds) youdepress the accelerator pedal 3 times. The light blinks a couple times and then goes off.

I would doubt the vehicle would "see" the need for an oil change after 1000 miles regardless of how hard you have driven it.

Old 05-28-08, 06:46 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Absolutely correct...... Just a note.....Fully depress the pedal. "Half-Strokes" dont count
The vehicle doesnt know the oil has been changed. It is on a 5000 mile timer. If the oil was changed in the middle of a cycle, and the technician forgot to reset the timer, it will continue its cycle until the 5000 mile interval is reached, and turn the light on regardless of when the oil was actually changed.

Old 05-28-08, 07:39 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Here is an article from the May 2003 TECH LINK which is sent to all GM dealers. There is no mileage figure built in. The oil life is calculated based on many inputs. The tech probably did not reset the system when the oil was changed.

How often should engine oil be changed?

- 3,000 miles (5000 km)
- 5,000 miles (8000 km)
- 7,500 miles (12000 km)
- 10,000 miles (16000 km)

Actually, all of these are correct, depending on operating conditions. Oil life is affected by many factors other than just miles driven. The type of driving, temperature, and engine load all play a part.

That’s why GM has developed the GM Oil Life System, an electronic watchdog that keeps track of all these variables and notifies the driver when it’s time to change oil. (fig. 1) We first told you about the GM Oil Life System in the March 2000 TechLink. Since then, the system has become standard equipment on nearly all GM products.

Briefly, the Oil Life System is programmed with a certain number of engine revolutions. As the engine runs, this number is reduced until it reaches zero, and the Oil Life light or message comes on. But there’s more. Operating the engine under low or high temperatures, and under high load conditions subtracts (penalizes) extra revolutions, so the light comes on sooner.

Changing engine oil according to actual need rather than an inflexible schedule provides several benefits.

First is simpified determination about when to change oil. No more decisions about “normal” conditions vs. “severe” conditions. Second is reduced operating costs for GM’s customers, who now have to change oil only when it’s needed. Third is minimizing the amount of used oil that must be disposed of. And fourth, engines will always be running with sufficiently fresh oil, for long life.

These benefits will be realized only if engine oil is actually changed as indicated by the GM Oil Life System.

Some customers “get it” when it’s explained to them. Others may be reluctant to deviate from traditional oil change interval charts. So, part of the responsibility falls on retail service people to help get the message out.

TIP: To help you do this, an IDL broadcast is being prepared. Consult the GM Training Program Guide and Schedule for “Understanding the GM Oil Life System” (PPS03.P1D).

There’s More
Traditionally, the vehicle maintenance schedule has been based on miles or time, while the oil change interval is now based on the GM Oil Life System. This could result in customers having to bring their vehicles in for an oil change when the light comes on, only to find that the vehicle is due in a month for scheduled maintenance.

That’s all changing. In the accompanying article “Simplified Maintenance Schedules”, you’ll learn how maintenance intervals are now being tied into the oil change intervals indicated by the Oil Life System.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: