a/c recirculation does not work

Old 05-28-08, 08:39 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
a/c recirculation does not work

i have a 1998 chevy venture, and the ac recirculation switch doesn't change anything when depressed. i am getting very cold air when the ac is on, but it's supposed to recirculate the air in the cabin making it more comfortable and efficient. what should I check to diagnose this problem? is it a blend door issue? if so, where would I go to get info on straightening this out?

Old 05-28-08, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Well, you're close. The blend door is actually the part that controls the temperature by moderating a door position that mixes cool air from the evaporator and warm air from the heater core. For recirculate vs fresh there is a different door that goes one way or the other to either direct incoming air from outside (fresh) or from inside (recirc). This door can be either mechanically operated, i.e. by cable, or vacuum operated. It will be somewhere near the blower motor on the intake side, i.e. upstream generally in the area behind the glovebox.

Old 05-28-08, 01:32 PM
R
question

does it sound to you like it's a problem with the door or with the switch itself?

how do I access the area around the blower motor to check the door? will i need to remove the glove box?

any pictures online anywhere of this area?

thanks for the help.

Old 05-28-08, 01:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I was hoping someone with specific knowledge would happen along as I'm speaking in general terms. According to the Autozone site here:

http://www.autozone.com/N,315374/ini...00c152800ab252

The blower motor itself is located in the engine compartment. All the ductwork, however would have to be in the interior. Very often to access that ductwork you may have to remove the glove box which is usually a fairly easy job. Beyond that I would just be guessing. One thing to be aware of is the passenger side airbag which is going to reside in that general area.

Finding good info is going to be tough, especially online. Even paper manuals like Haynes & Chilton's may not contain enough detailed info in this area, but probably worth the time to check the local library. As a last resort you could always subscribe to AllData and get the same info as the repair shops.

My w.a.g. would be that it's vacuum actuated and either the vacuum line is off or the vacuum actuator has failed. Alternatively, if it's cable operated, the cable has probably come loose from the door.

Old 05-28-08, 05:34 PM
The question I have for you is how have you determined that there is actually a problem? Does your A/C work properly aside from the recirc issue you seem to have? Do you notice ANYTHING different when the button is pressed?
Billy

Old 05-29-08, 05:12 AM
R
thanks Billy.........

it's going to be vacuum operated because there are no sliding controls. they're all pushbuttons.

I'll have to check the library this weekend if I get a chance.

thank you

Last edited by richtfan; 05-29-08 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-29-08, 07:28 AM
R
Originally Posted by billys68ss
The question I have for you is how have you determined that there is actually a problem? Does your A/C work properly aside from the recirc issue you seem to have? Do you notice ANYTHING different when the button is pressed?
Billy
Billy,

nothing is different when I push the recirculate button. it keeps drawing in fresh air because I can smell things from the engine compartment and from outisde the vehicle. the ac works fine and cools down great outside this situation. the recirc button really helps in the middle of the summer down south where I am, so I really need for it to be working properly. i am headed to the library today to check out the chilton manual online.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: