Should I change the oil?

Old 05-30-08, 11:22 AM
Should I change the oil?

I have a garage queen that has only been driven about 800 miles in past 6 months. The last oil change (semi synthetic lubricant & mobil 1 filter) was also done 6 months ago.

I know the manual recommends an oil change every 5K miles, but for garage queens such as mine, when should I change the oil?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-08, 11:41 AM
Group Moderator
Going to be a heated discussion about that, I predict. If it was mine I think I would do it every 6 months.

Old 05-30-08, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Importantly (not more importantly , you notice.. ) What was the driving like in those 800 miles? Cruising the blvd? Commuting 4 miles to work? Or on the highway for 100 miles each time? Are you burning off the condensation and contaminants? If its a $50k cherry GTO, I'd treat it like my best friend. If its a beater, welllll maybe not so much.

Old 05-30-08, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
...Are you burning off the condensation and contaminants? If its a $50k cherry GTO, I'd treat it like my best friend. If its a beater, welllll maybe not so much.
The accumulation of condesations etc.. was the key info I was looking for. That, I dont want to risk having!

BTW, the driving style is a mixture of what you said, cruising, maybe 40 mile trips (one way) at times, sometime's I gun it when noone's around on the street. As far as it being a "$50K cherry" ride , not exactly to some, because it's just a pick up truck. But since it's supercharged from the factory, I can call it my "cherry" ride.

Anyway thanks again to all. I will definitely change my oil. (as opposed to what the manual says).

Old 05-31-08, 06:43 AM
Group Moderator
Candidate for "Overhaulin'"?

Old 05-31-08, 07:05 AM
I have such a car - my 71 Cutlass that sees 1K each year. I leave the oil in for 2-3 years. Others have done the same, and a Used Oil Analysis shows there is nothing wrong with the oil or engine when leaving the oil in there for that length of time.

My daily drivers - a summer car and a winter car - sometimes see an oil change only once a year. I don't drive much.

With your driving schedule changing the oil every six months may be too soon.

The other option is to drain the oil into a clean pan and using it for your daily driver.