2003 dodge durango

Old 06-07-08, 11:36 AM
2003 dodge durango

hi i was told that i need a new skim module by dodge dealer. but i read that i may just need to be unpluged and pluged back in but where is it at thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-08, 12:21 PM
What is the problem?. On some newer (06-08) you may do that to get it going but the older models, I'm not so sure, but it's doesn't hurt to try.

Old 06-07-08, 01:13 PM
If there is something wrong with the SKIM module then unplugging it will not fix anything. It may make it work for a short time, but not likely. What is the problem? What is it doing, or not doing?
Billy

Old 06-08-08, 08:14 AM
the key fob will not work

Old 06-15-08, 08:37 AM
Just because the key fob doesnt work does not mean the SKIM module needs replacing. The fob itself needs to be tested and possibly programmed. Does your key have a black or gray top? If it has a gray top, which im suspecting it does, then you have a SKIM key. This means that the key has a chip inside and it functions in conjunction with the SKIM module to allow your vehicle to start. If the SKIM module were bad then most likely the vehicle would not start.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 06-20-08, 04:13 PM
We have these all the time......

Is this a plain Grey key or an RKE key...does it have the lock and unlock buttons on the key?

If it is indeed an RKE (Remote keyless entry), pop it open to expose the battery. Look at the tab that holds the battery down.......Very often they separate from the circuit board. A tap from a soldering iron usually fixes them.

Unplugging the skim controller ....??? What is likely happenning is the battery hold down is intermittently losing contact and spitting out erratic codes that Skim doesnt recognize. Unplugging the module makes it forget the erratic codes. It will accept up to 8 codes for programming, and you may be filling the memory, Although , skim uses non volatile memory....Which shouldnt be affected by loss of voltage.

Old 06-20-08, 05:11 PM
2003 didnt have the key with the integral fob. The SKIM key would have a gray top.
Billy

Old 06-20-08, 07:41 PM
the key fob will not work

The Skim "Grey Top" key doesnt do anything to make him think it isnt working....

What isnt the Key Fob doing?