replacing rear backing plates

Old 06-10-08, 07:38 PM
Red face replacing rear backing plates

Hi,
I have a 2001 GMC Yukon, automatic,4x4, v8, suv. I have been told I have to have the rear backing plates replaced. They want close to 1000.00 to do so. It is not under my warrentee. Can anyone describe to me how to do it myself or can anyone direct me to a website that will tell and show me with some pictures. I looked in my Chilton book but there was nothing. Any help will be appreciated. You can email me at [email protected]
Thank you. Rhetta.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-08, 07:56 PM
What reason did the shop give for replacing the backing plates ? And why would both need replacing?
Mike

Old 06-11-08, 09:02 PM
They rust out and fall apart, known problem. If you feel comfortable opening the rear differential and removing the axles, do it yourself. It is pretty simple task of you know what you are doing. While you are at it, replace the axle seals. I can walk you through it, but have no time at this moment. Send me a PM if you still need assistance.

Old 06-12-08, 08:44 AM
rear backing plates on 2001 yukon

Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
What reason did the shop give for replacing the backing plates ? And why would both need replacing?
Mike
The shop told me that my suv would not pass inspection without them being replaced. I got underneath and looked and some of the plate has broken off. On both. Thank you for your reply.
Rhetta

Old 06-12-08, 08:49 AM
rear backing plates on 2001 yukon

Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
Mike
The shop told me that my suv would not pass inspection without them being replaced. I got underneath and looked and some of the plate has broken off. On both. I don't see how that could have happened within just a year. They inspected it last year at this time. They must have known. Thank you for your reply.
Rhetta

Old 06-12-08, 03:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Common prolem, eh? Well, note to myself never to buy one of these vehicles!

Is this attributed to road salt? I am presuming most people do not drive these down the ocean beach.

Old 06-13-08, 04:06 AM
Yeah, 99 on up Chevy and GMC trucks with rear disc brakes. The backing plates are sheet metal, pretty much.