SUV suggestions -- poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-00, 10:38 AM
Visiting Guest
I'm thinking about buying an SUV, and was just wondering if anyone had strong opinions on particularly good or bad ones. I'm looking for something used but not more than 5 years old, roughly $15,000, that is reliable and has good interior room -- something that I can have fun with and take off-roading and into the woods. I don't want a large SUV, since I don't need such a large car. I was leaning towards the Chevy Blazer at first, but I live in the city and like the smaller size of the Jeep Cherokee. I'd appreciate feedback on your favorite/least favorite SUVs and what the unique attributes/characteristics of each one is.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-00, 12:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Afternoon, Wupower:
We just did a survey through Consumers Reports and a few other sources today for a fellow in the same situation. The top SUV on the list is the Ford Explorer (bad tires and all)for best machine for the money spent. Toyota came in high but the price is a little out of line for American Standards. All sources say, "DON'T BUY JEEP".
Best type of vehicle to buy is one that is just coming in off a two-year lease and still have warranty left. Some great deals there.
Checking prices? Best source on the net is http://www.kellybluebook.com

Good hunting.

Smokey

Old 08-10-00, 12:23 PM
Visiting Guest
What's wrong with Jeep? Do they have many costly repairs? I like the smaller size of the Cherokee.

The Ford Explorer is bigger than I really want, although I know it's a good SUV (except for the spontaneously shredding tires).

Old 08-10-00, 02:01 PM
Visiting Guest
I drive a 95 Ford Explorer. I like the vehicle overall, but I am extremely displeased with the hard bumpy ride. With 180,000 miles, yes thats right, I replaced the shock absorbers last weekend, only to find that they did not change the rought ride at all. Bummers. A waste of $86. I have been told to replace the tires with softer, less ply, lower pressure tires and it will make all the difference in the world. It figures,, the tires are brand new hard as nails truck tires, so I am stuck with the hard ride for a couple of years. Other than that, I have had it for 1 year, drove it everyday and have no complaints.

Mark

Old 08-10-00, 04:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

This one is going to see a lot of action. Friends, I report what the tests show and I report what I see as fact. Certainly there is good and bad on all sides. I don't recommend anything unless I see the results.

If you check all the statistics, read all the tech service bulletins, read all the manufacturer's call-backs, read all the history on the vehicles, the answer comes out the same.

The forum is open. Let's hear from the users of the machines.

For the Jeep owners: the statistics show that the Jeep is on the bottom of the list for everything since Chrysler took over. I have no preference but I believe in the bulletins and statistics I read.

But we want to hear from your side, too.

Smokey

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited August 10, 2000).]

Old 08-10-00, 07:10 PM
Visiting Guest
I may be biased since I own two Jeep Cherokees (a '92 with 76,000 miles and a '99 with 41,000 miles) but I work with a lot of people who drive Cherokees and from our experience they're pretty rugged and reliable. Granted, they are 1984 technology and aren't as slick as some of the newer generation products but I find it's a good all around vehicle. We don't seem to have any trouble with the powertrains (we work them pretty hard where I work). I know DaimlerChrysler gets a lot of bad press about their quality but don't blindly pass up a Cherokee if it's in your price range.
When in doubt, it's a good idea to take any used vehicle to a mechanic and have it checked over before you buy. You can also check a vehicles history over the net.

Happy hunting
Andy

Old 08-11-00, 07:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Can you suggest some good Internet sources for me to get this kind of information (free)? I know that you can't get the Consumer Reports info unless you're a subscriber.

Old 08-11-00, 08:27 AM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wupower:
Can you suggest some good Internet sources for me to get this kind of information (free)? I know that you can't get the Consumer Reports info unless you're a subscriber.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
i agree with no jeep,i bought my daughtr a 94 gran ch 3 years ago 6ok 5.2 318 all buttons. shortly after, new trans. then later transfer case job, now ac plus some minor things, minor after the later anyway. 112 k know engine doing great (knock on wood) the 318 has a good history record for it has been around for ages. good luck and do your homework!!!

Old 08-11-00, 10:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Afternoon, wupower:

If you want to peruse the tests and such on these vehicles, one good place to start is
http://ucl.broward.cc.fl.us/guides/newcars.htm

They have links to all the sites that have the information. Study the results of the tests and recommendations. Make a decision
on facts rather than fantasies. Buying one of these SUV's is a major cash outlay and some consideration must be taken to get the most "bang for the buck".

Smokey

Old 08-15-00, 07:49 PM
Visiting Guest
I just bought a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE, and I love it. I paid 15,200 for it. It has one of the best rides of the SUV's out there. In most reviews its ride and reliability are ranked very high. The jeep cherokee has a poor record when it comes to vehicle repairs, statistics don't lie. I feel they are overpriced.

Old 08-11-02, 06:19 AM
Edgewood
Visiting Guest
I bought a 95' Nissan Pathfinder XE in 97' with 22,000miles for just over $17k. It has 72,000miles now and it's been nothing but a joy to own. It does seem to have lots of road noise, but i know the newer ones have improved on this and also added a more powerful engine. I truely have no regrets and would recommend it highly (and no i don't work for Nissan)
Good Luck with your decision- Scott

Closed Thread