GM Turn signal switches

Old 06-13-08, 06:42 PM
GM Turn signal switches

Anyone get a bad new one? Replaced on my nephews Camaro (is is early 2000-ish, one of the last years of that body). Had working center stop light, no left or right brake light, and working turn signals. Common problem that I know should be the turn signal switch, but it didn't fix it. Am guessing bad new switch??
Gilly

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-08, 09:31 PM
before condeming the new switch find out the wire color codes, some diagrams can be found at autozone.com, unplug the connector for the new switch and check continuty through the switch, then just to be sure use a jumper wire and run power to the proper wires to see if the lights come on that way. this should isolate the switch.

if we're not supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?

Old 06-14-08, 09:35 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by GillyWI View Post
Anyone get a bad new one? Replaced on my nephews Camaro (is is early 2000-ish, one of the last years of that body). Had working center stop light, no left or right brake light, and working turn signals. Common problem that I know should be the turn signal switch, but it didn't fix it. Am guessing bad new switch??
Gilly
not clear! if the third brake light is working the other two should work if the bulb is good(baring any accidents/wiring problems). did the turn signals work or not? not that familiar with that model, depends on how many bulbs are in the light. one for turn, one for tail, one for stop. or just one for turn/stop and one for tail.? in ANY elect. situation, the first thing to do is confirm voltage AND a GOOD ground. 99% of elect. problems of this type i've found is the ground. have someone operate the lights/brakes and confirm voltage(or lack of) at each point when in operation. don't just presume a part is bad until you check the wiring.

Old 06-14-08, 02:02 PM
Thanks Mike and all. I know what you are saying Mike. I was treating this as a "pattern failure" as I had to replace 2 on my brothers Buick Regal and one on a co-workers Monte Carlo, same exact symptoms (the second replacement on the Regal was due to his daughters soda-spill-on-the-steering column incident.
Yes the turn sigs and hazards all worked and this uses the same wires to the sockets so I was not assuming there was a wiring or ground problem. The center stop light comes direct from the switch, no turn signal switch involvement. The only thing else I can imaging would be that the brake light switch MIGHT use a seperate contact switch that feeds to the turn signal switch (seperate set for the 3rd brake light), but I'd rather doubt it. Nephew will find and check a wiring diagram.
The brake signal to the left and right brake lights go through the switch. If for example the right signal is on and you step on the brake, the right signal is operating but the brake signal won't go to the right side, only the left brake light (right side flashing and left side is the brake light signal, plus the center stoplight which operates indepentantly of what the left and right sides are doing), and vice versa if the left signal is on. THIS much I know, but wondering if others have had a new switch do the same thing, OR if anyone knows if the brake light switch might still be suspect even if the center stoplight is working OK.
Gilly

Search this Thread