2003 F150 Stuck in Park/power windows not functioning

Old 06-15-08, 01:09 PM
Cool 2003 F150 Stuck in Park/power windows not functioning

I recently had my truck stuck in park. At the same time, I discovered my power windows also were inoperable. Searching through threads within this site, I discovered that I can get out of park by turning the key slightly and shifting into neutral (this way I wasnt stranded and was now able to drive my truck home and mess with it in my garage, since the windows will not go up in case of storm.)

Any ideas why I'd have these two issues happen to me at the same time (and how to fix)? I checked fuses under dash, and all seem to be ok.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-08, 01:38 PM
Do your brake lights work?

Also check "ALL" fuses in the underhood panel .

Old 06-15-08, 01:46 PM
Yes, brake lights working, I'll check other fuses now.

Old 06-15-08, 02:08 PM
All fuses check out ok; perhaps a bad relay? If so, can relays be checked similarly with fuse tester light?

Other options?

Thank you,
Steve

Old 03-04-10, 03:51 PM
It's happening again!!

Well, it's been about 1 1/2 years since I had this problem; IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN!! Last time I did not take into the shop, it just seemed to remedy itself.

This time I have experienced for the last two months the odometer illumination has been inoperable and have just lived with this inconvenience (although no fuses appear to be blown). A few days ago the stuck in park thing started happening again, as well as window controls and dome light inoperable. The funny thing is now the dashboard illumination is working again!! Just as before, I can get out of park as long as I turn the key slightly; does anyone have any other ideas?

Old 03-04-10, 04:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I went out and tried MY car. I have to push the key in hard, while I turn a little at same time, to both release the steering wheel lock and shift lever, that otherwise would be locked in park. Try yours and see if maybe you have not been pushing the key in hard enough when you try to turn the key. My cylinder ring has like 1/16th inch or so endplay that is spring loaded, that allows this action.

Old 03-04-10, 04:29 PM
Here's a possible issue that I have seen before and it can cause some wild things to happen. Remove the covers from the steering column and check the wires for the od that come out of the gearshift lever. They can rub and then short.

Old 03-04-10, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the replies; I will take off the covers and check the wires as you suggest, JPR. I have no problems starting the vehicle; the worst part is that I cant roll down the windows at this point and that my AC doesnt work; it's starting to get warmer here in WI!!

Old 03-04-10, 05:46 PM
Ya. It got up to like 45 here - and with the sun coming in thru the car windows, I thought I was going to die.

You asked for any other ideas. Heres one: With a wiring schematic, you could see what those circuits have in common.......perhaps with the ignition switch.

Old 03-07-10, 12:11 PM
Well, I checked the wires and everything looks ok. I will double check all of the fuses once again...

Old 03-07-10, 01:03 PM
I found the culprit; a stupid 5 amp fuse blown; not sure how I missed it the first time!!Beer 4U2

Old 03-07-10, 01:20 PM
Well that's okay. Stuff like that happens.

But - that doesn't solve the occassional glitchy stuck PARK lever though, right?

Old 03-07-10, 05:11 PM
Yep, everything's back to normal, thank you!