1972 pontiac grand prix overheating!!!!

Old 06-15-08, 09:41 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1972 pontiac grand prix overheating!!!!

I have a 1972 pontiac grand prix with a 400,it overheated and now it knocks what do i do

Old 06-16-08, 03:56 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It almost sounds like you are joking, by asking this.

It overheated. Now it knocks? That is not good.

There is overheating an engine - and then there is REALLY overheating an engine. They can get so hot that the piston can't even hardly move in the cylinder. The engine starts to lug. And if it dies, or you shut it off at that time, the engine will not even be able to hardly rotate. And parts of the engine can warp. I think you might be into this category. And I'd say the motor is done for, sorry to say.

Years ago I blew up my hot rod from overheating, and it warped things so it could not be rebuilt by simply adding new parts (like pistons, bearings and crank, to name some). It really needed bo be re-trued up at a machine shop, which it wasn't.

Old 06-16-08, 04:30 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
knocking stops when not accerlating

The car is running fine. The knocking is when the car is accelerating and then when you take your foot off the gas pedal the knocking stops. Not sure if this is two separate problems.

Old 06-16-08, 04:52 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is it a loud knock as opposed to a ticking sound? Rod bearings when they go out produce a knock that is worse when under load. I'm surprised though if you hear NO knock when it is idling.

There are other internal engine parts also, that if they knock, is not a good sign, either.

I'd drive it to a cheap garage or junk yard for a first visit listening evaluation. A good mechanic may identify that sound. And if you are lucky, maybe they won't (hardly) charge you anything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: