Grease gun challenged

Old 06-28-08, 08:14 PM
Grease gun challenged

OK, I now own 3 manual grease guns and I still don't have instructions on how to operate any of them, and haven't figured it out on my own. Apparently it's so obvious they just assume anyone can do it.

Some questions: How to get the old cartridge out? They seem to adhere to the sides. My latest, today, would not come out. I ended up ripping about half out with pliers, but I'm still not sure if I was removing a cartridge or part of the gun.

The cartridges say "Insert this end first", but which end of the grease gun does it get inserted first in? Both ends unscrew.

I take it the plastic cap comes off, but what do I do with the foil end? Poke a hole, like caulk, or remove it?

If the cartridge goes in the bottom, how to get the damn cap back on (which has the spring and handle like a caulk gun)? It's like one of those Joe Wieder chest excercises, only with the extra bonus of grease slopping and squirting everywhere.

I use a grease gun twice a year if that - to lube 4 fittings on my lawn tractor. Today it took an an entire tube of grease, which I ended up ripping to shreds so I could slop the grease into the gun without the cartridge.

Does anyone have a moment to send some grease gun instructions? Also, is there a quality grease gun out there that includes instructions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-08, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator
For a typical grease gun:

Pull the plunder handle on the end of the steel tube out as far as it will go.
While holding it against the spring move the handle sideways so the slot in the handle slides into the notch in the end cap.
This will hold the plunger.

Unscrew the steel body of the gun at the head end.
The old cartridge will pull out of this end.
Remove the plastic cap from one end of the new cartridge and pull the metal tab to open the other end.
Slide the cartridge into the gun, the end that had the cap first.

Screw the body back into the head.
Pull the plunger and slide sideways to release it so it can push the grease forward.
Loosen either a grease fitting or metal plug on the head end to purge the air until grease comes out.

If your gun is anything like the kind I am familiar with you should be in business!

Old 06-29-08, 07:20 PM
Many thanks for the instructions!

Old 06-29-08, 07:49 PM
It is unlikely you have one but they made guns for bulk grease these had a leather on the piston to seal it with the sides of the gun. These wont work with a cartridge. If these are fairly new guns and not something your grandpa had the above instructions will get you going. RW

Old 06-30-08, 05:27 AM
No, they're all new in the last 5 years or so - they just didn't come with instructions. Neither do the cartridges.

Old 01-24-10, 05:34 AM
Well here it is a couple of years later and I'm trying to lube those fittings again. I bought a new grease gun with instructions.

But I'm still having trouble. Are these things supposed to develop some pressure? When it's loaded but not connected to a fitting and I pump I get a kind of wimpy stream coming out of the tip. When I put it on a fitting and pump I don't feel back pressure - it doesn't really feel like it's getting the job done.

I also don't seem to be able to overfill (seems like I should start to see grease coming back out of the fitting when I'm done? How do I know when it's working? The instructions talk about disengaging the rod and pressing down on a solid surface to "prime" it, but this doesn't seem to work.

I should explain that I'm usually fairly smart mechanically and with tools. I must have grease gun block.

Old 01-24-10, 06:46 AM
If the gun is stored with the spring loaded plunger pushing the grease, it is possible that the grease squeezed out and behind the plunger. The plunger then moves forward. This keeps repeating until eventlually, there is no grease (at least not enough for the plunger to squeeze out) in front of the plunger. It is all behind the plunger.

You should store the grease gun with the plunger pulled back and locked to prevent this.

Old 01-25-10, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by suobs View Post
I also don't seem to be able to overfill (seems like I should start to see grease coming back out of the fitting when I'm done? How do I know when it's working?
You usually can see grease coming out somewhere when it gets full. You should feel some back pressure while pumping. No pressure means you are out of grease or there is air in the system. A lot of pressure usually means a plugged grease fitting on the automobile (if that is what you are working on). Grease usually winds up all over the outside of the fitting when it is plugged.

Search this Thread