1988 firebird rearend


Old 06-29-08, 09:05 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile 1988 firebird rearend

I just bought a 1988 firebird. I guess they are known to have this part of the rear end break. It's the straight piece in front of the rear wheel that tow trucks can hook up to.
My questions, first, what do you call this piece, and is it worth welding back together with some beefed up steel or or is it an easy swap out? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-08, 05:47 AM
the_tow_guy's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SW Fla USA
Posts: 11,826
Received 33 Votes on 26 Posts
Hopefully there's a Firebird pro out there. From a towing standpoint, I can't imagine what part you are talking about. If it was being flat-bedded it would be loaded from the front and the bridle would be attached to the lower control arms or t-slots if so equipped. For a wheel-lift tow, it would be taken from the back, but nothing would be attached to any structural members on the vehicle.
Old 06-30-08, 06:56 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1988 firebird rearend

It was loaded on a flat bed rearend going on first. It was hooked up to the rearend on the side that wasnt broken. The driver showed me where he hooked it up. There was a slot to allow a hook to fit into. He showed it to me because that side he showes was about to let go also.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title: