Toyotal Corolla 00 - Parking lights won't turn off

Old 07-01-08, 09:44 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Toyotal Corolla 00 - Parking lights won't turn off

My parking lights won't turn off. I checked all of the fuses and they all seem to be good. No matter what I do - nothing seems to work (except disconnecting the battery cable, of course).

I don't know if this is related, but several days ago my high-beam indicator started blinking at me. Unless I turned on my headlights, it would continue blinking.

Then today when I get to work, the parking lights won't turn off.

Any ideas?

Old 07-02-08, 02:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Your multifunction switch (blinker/highbeam control) needs replacement.

Old 07-02-08, 02:32 PM
M
i concur

I concur your multi function switch is bad. It is the one that controls all the stuff like lights ,turn signals high beam etc.

Old 07-02-08, 05:46 PM
W
Your multifunction switch

has probably failed by shorting. It might feel different to the touch when you switch it.

These things are expensive, though, so I'd try to confirm that failure by cutting and splicing wires one at a time. If you do find it, you may be able to bypass the multifunction switch and put in a auto parts store switch, if appearance is not important.

Less likely, a short somewhere else could also do this, but there's not too many places for this short to occur. Maybe some sheet metal has cut through the wire.
To pursue this, you need a schematic with wire colors shown. My local library actually has these online; it's cheaper than keeping a shelf full of Chilton repair books.

Old 07-03-08, 03:33 AM
M
my 2 cents

Yes the switch will cost some cash probbably 200 or so but I think being a newer toyota that has probbably many more good miles on it I would opt for a correct switch and stay away from cutting wires. The plug and go would be my choice. You might get one from a wrecking yars for cheaper but it would be a correct one.

Old 07-03-08, 09:29 AM
W
confirm

Come to think of it, when you unplug the switch in order to replace it, just check that the symptom disappears.
I guess that is a 100% valid check for shorts elsewhere.

Old 07-03-08, 02:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
RockAuto has it for about $120, P/N: 1S2602

I would look in a junkyard first.

Old 07-03-08, 04:34 PM
W
Junkyards are good for parts that have random failures. If this failure is due to a design defect (look for recalls on this) then the J/Y switch will have the same problems.
Your call. Watch out for the dog.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: