How to turn-off Car Alarm?

Old 07-03-08, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to turn-off Car Alarm?

Hi:
For the past weeks, a Car-Alarm on Subaru, Outback goes off when I started to open a driver's side door. Not every day, ... but it's quite annoying and embarrassing in the neighborhood if it'd start early in the morning when going to work, that concerns me the most.

This occurs ONLY right on opening driver's side-door. Otherwise, it never happens.

For this, I desperately to quite it down Car-Alarm by using 'Remote' that came with Subaru, by turning on and off that works OK. However, I just want to shut it down completely, ... or disconnect it for good, since I have other device, 'Club' for its protection.

My question is, ...
How to turn-off 'Car-Alarm?'
or else,
How to disconnect it for good?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Old 07-04-08, 10:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
I doubt if anyone who knows how to disable a car alarm would tell a stranger on the internet. I'd start with the basics: battery, fuses, what's changed in the last few weeks? Did you or someone put in an aftermarket radio. The problem solver hobbyist in me would think you could get a hold of a manual with a wiring diagram. Figure out the wiring path for the alarm system and splice in a cut-off switch. The public library here has a fairly complete Chilton set. Your's may as well. Hope this helps.

Old 07-04-08, 10:19 PM
An Aftermarket alarm system should have a "VALET" switch , to disable the system, and would involve turning the ignition key to "ON" and "Toggling" the valet switch......Most MFR's do it differently , so the procedure may be unique to your brand.

Factory Security is another ball of wax. If it is indeed possible, it will be in the owners manual. Many will not be possible , as it is integrated into the vehicles PCM.....Which would mean a trip to the dealer for "OPTION PROGRAMMING"

Either way, without definitive information about your specific vehicle , or the alarm installed, DIY in this case is a bit above and beyond.

Old 07-05-08, 10:14 AM
Thanks both for the responses.

When I looked at Car-Manual, '2000 Subaru Outback' that came with a Car, the Remote has three different operations. One button(blue) for Locking the doors, second button (Orange) for both Unlocking the door and 'Sounding a panic alarm.'

As seeing above, it seems to me that 'Sounding a panic alarm' has something to do with, ... 'blaring horn/alarm' upon opening the driver's side-door by using a key. When I instantly press the "Lock/Alarm, Panic button," Alarm-sound stops right away.

As one of responsers's suggetion, I plan to make a trip to the dealer within a couple of weeks. One major concern is, ... whether this, Alarm/blaring-horn gets deteriorating to the point that Alarm-sound starts in the middle of nite? Or, stay this way, ... only upon opening the driver's side-door by using a key? Because, I am not able to make a trip to the dealer the next week due to a distance, a long drive.

Many thanks for any helps on this, above.

Old 07-05-08, 10:29 AM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PineCone
As one of responsers's suggetion, I plan to make a trip to the dealer within a couple of weeks. One major concern is, ... whether this, Alarm/blaring-horn gets deteriorating to the point that Alarm-sound starts in the middle of nite? Or, stay this way, ... only upon opening the driver's side-door by using a key? Because, I am not able to make a trip to the dealer the next week due to a distance, a long drive.
Well, the I guess the neirghbors won't be bothered if it goes off in the middle of the night then.

Your last post has really made me suspicious. At first, I was going along with you but now you start with "what it the world ends today" scenario to attempt to gain more knowledge about turning off the alarm.

Ok, what if it deteriorates to happening by itlelf? You have stated several times the ONLY time the alarm goes off is when you use the key to open the door. Why would you think it would change. It is obvious that there is an action that causes it to alarm and nothing has made it alarm other than that. There is no reaosn to believe it will change so there should be no real problem with waiting to go to the dealer when you can.

btw; simply use the fob to unlock the doors

also, if you read the manual, I suspect you will find a "trick" for opening the door with the key as well as setting or turning off the alarm with the key. Many vehicles did provide for the ability to activate and deactivate the alarm using the key.

Old 07-05-08, 02:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Maybe I'm missing somthing here...or not following correctly.

Are you saying when you lock your car using the keyfob, then open the door with your KEY, it's going off? If so, this is completely normal.

Use your keyfob to lock and unlock.

Old 07-05-08, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC
Maybe I'm missing somthing here...or not following correctly.

Are you saying when you lock your car using the keyfob, then open the door with your KEY, it's going off? If so, this is completely normal.

Use your keyfob to lock and unlock.
Thanks for the response.

In the past, I often opened/closed the door by using my Key and Remote both, and never got any problem at all. However, as I stated in my first post, for the past weeks, Alarm went off when I opened the driver's side-door by using my Key.

In my recollection, prior to this occurrence, I did use the Remote few times when the driver's side-door still opened, but that action contributed this issue? The reson for that was I needed to close a rear/back door because with my key, the door did not shut tight. The Remote woks very well particularly for shutting its back door.

In Owner's Manual, I read every pages related to 'Remote,' ... however it's pretty tough for me to manupulate the Remote as seeing it's 'electrical' which I can NOT afford to mess it up.

I called yesterday, but due to the Holiday, the dealer was closed. Also, nearby my home, there is 'Shop' which handles 'Car-Alarm,' then I may go to see what they suggest.

Since it's a complexity for me to deal with it, the best solution available to me seems to 'disconnect' it, although my Subaru is required to have 'Car-Alarm' for auto-insu rance purpose.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: