Car battery or window motor?

Old 07-03-08, 06:24 PM
Car battery or window motor?

I have a 97 chevy camaro 3.8 liter V6. Recently I had to replace the driver side window motor. Its been about a month and a half and my new window motor is acting up again. I also have a battery that I have never replaced and Ive owned the car for 7 years and dont know if the previous owner changed it either. The passenger side window works but sometimes is slower than others. Before buying a new window motor again, I was curious if the fact that this battery is clearly old possibly be the cause fo the window motors burning out and/or not functioning properly? Automatic door locks dont work or alarm, battery?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-08, 07:40 PM
Get yourself some silicone spray in the aerosol can and spray the guides on each end where the felt is. Soak em good, and see if that doesn't help with the load on the motor. As far as the door locks etc., I would probably take a look at the wiring that runs through the boot near your door hinge area, and at the switches on the drivers side. The wires inside that boot have to bend, every time you open & close your door, which tends to cause weak, or broken wires eventually. Look them over good for thin areas, cracks etc. The reason I concentrate on drivers side is that it is the most used door obviously.

Old 07-03-08, 09:29 PM
I don't think the battery is the cause of your problem with the power windows. You said something about the locks and the alarm? Have you checked the fuses? Is the alarm an after-market or factory?

That said - a new battery wouldn't hurt. If you have the cash now, you can get a battery for under a $100 depending on the length of the warranty.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 07-04-08 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Not necessary to quote entire post; please use Reply button.
Old 07-03-08, 09:42 PM
I have checked the fuses, they all look fine, the alarm is what came with the car, i believe it is a factory alarm nothing suggests otherwise. It just baffles me how the windows periodically work fine and then act as if they are struggling or not getting enough power

Old 07-04-08, 05:31 AM
Group Moderator
It may or may not solve your puzzle, but I agree with mobile man that a new battery wouldn't hurt. At 7 years I would guess you're not far from getting stuck needing a jump start.

You didn't say, but do the windows act any different depending on whether the engine is running or not?

Old 07-04-08, 06:23 AM
Repeated parts replacement means there is a root cause out there yet to be found. Mechanical binding causing motor overload would be my guess.
Did the motors fail by opening or shorting?

Old 07-04-08, 10:18 AM
The windows arent as strong when the engine is not running. TO answer WDIBAA, the windows roll down fine and struggle to roll up if at all (mainly driver side window) so not sure if its shorting or if its from opening

Old 07-04-08, 04:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you done what Mike suggested? I have to spray my window tracks every so often because of dirt.

Old 07-04-08, 09:47 PM
Did you replace the window motor yourself? The reason I ask is the difficulty in doing the next few steps.
1- do what mike said. The spray is cheap and checking wiring is an investment in time.
2- The battery I would change. Tow guy makes a good point about being stranded. Now that I think about it some more, check that the battery posts are clean. Also, you may want to look at the battery cables. I don't know the wiring for the your car. I wonder if you are missing a ground or if it's shorting out there?
3- Back to the window, if you are feeling froggy enough to take the inside door panel off, you can inspect the mechanism. The one power window I'm familiar with used a motor to turn a scissor jack to raise and lower the window. Think of an X with the window sitting on top of the X. I wonder if you need to grease that portion where the arms intersect? Any body guys care to comment?

Last edited by mobile_man; 07-04-08 at 09:48 PM. Reason: kant speel
Old 07-05-08, 12:17 AM
I had the motor replaced by a guy who deals strictly with windows. Problem is I bought the motor myself online thinking I could do it myself. He said there was no guarantee on the motor since I bought it online, however had I had him do it, he guarantees his products and his work. My windows operate off that same scissor jack you described. He was very thorough and Im assuming he would have noticed if my rails needed lubrication. Obviously I dont know for sure. I will try the spray and changing my battery and see what that does. Can I find that spray at a local automotive store?

Old 07-31-08, 02:59 PM
My '87 S-10 PU electric windows stoped working, then would work at times after drivers door was opened and closed a few times. Then one day windows were down and would not go up. As a security problem this had to be fixed. It was not a ckt. braker or fuse issue it was a broken ground wire inside of the rubber boot in the door jamb. This ground wire also supplys ground for the door locks that I did not know was not working. I first off checked the boot but not very carefully weeks later I checked again and found the #12 ga. wire broken. The other 6 wires were in good shape.
Walt