Flex Fuel Jeep?

Old 07-05-08, 07:55 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flex Fuel Jeep?

I ordered an 08 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and specified the 4.7Liter flex-fuel (FFV) motor. When I got the vehicle last month, I noticed my vehicle did not have two things that typical FFV's have: a FFV emblem and a FFV yellow gas cap. Asked my dealer about this, and he told me that all 4.7Liter motors are FF capable. OK. Here's where it gets interesting.

I read the owners manual, and it states that the vehicle should have the yellow cap if it is a FFV. The cap is black. I was concerned because I do not want to harm the engine filling with E85 and potentially void the life-time warranty. I called my dealer and he said that my car is a FFV. So I asked him to send me a letter, on Chrysler letterhead, that states that my vehicle is FFV and the warranty will not be voided for filling with e85. I just got the letter last week. I filled my Jeep with e85 and the next day a "check engine" light came on. Now I'm concerned and ticked off.

I feel I've been tricked. Got the letter so that's a bit of piece of mind, but...Can I return my vehicle if I "verbally" ordered a FFV and after one month confirmed it is not a FFV?

Old 07-06-08, 06:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Verbally no. You have to have everything in writing. In my opinion, E85 is a crock. You get worse gas mileage then regular gasoline, making you fill up even more, not to mention your vehicle was rated one of the worst gas hogs manufactured.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6219148/...008/index.html

Old 07-06-08, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
First I'd verify the configuration using the VIN and getting a copy of the build sheet (I think thats what its called). That should tell you what engine is in it. It does seem like the Limited 4.7L is a FFV, but thats just on their website.

Then, I'd go talk to the Sales Manager, then the President, then the Owner, if you don't get satisfaction at the lower level. Go to the Jeep regional people if you have to.

Who signed the letter? If its not at least the Sales Manager, they'll just fire whoever sent it.

If they don't want to cooperate, just tell them you'll be back every time the check engine light comes on, and stand in the waiting area speaking loudly about the lousy service and how you were mislead. And when something does fail because of improper fuel, they'll be replacing it under warranty. And after a certain number of visits to the dealer, won't the Lemon Laws come into play possibly?

They want your business. And they know every other dealer does as well. I think they'll try to keep you happy if you are clear about what you want them to do.

Old 07-06-08, 07:58 AM
Im not at work right now so I cant access it, But I work for Chrysler, and we have loads of "Owners Manual Updates" , which are just little stickers that get affixed over Incorrect Info in the Manual. I personally havent seen a Yellow Gas cap...But...Rather yellow printing on a Black Cap, and a Yellow label affixed to the fuel door...

As Far as I know.....4.7 's are all Flex fuel compatible, There isnt a Special one.

Counting from Left to right....the 8th charachter in your VIN is the engine code...What Is It?.....

Old 07-06-08, 10:04 AM
J
Thank you all for the responses so far, I appreciate that.

Unclediezel, I just checked, and the 8th character is the letter "N." Please let me know if you find out what that stands for!

Gunguy, not sure about the Lemon laws, and I really hope I don't have to. Just want to fill my tank with e85...It's now 80 cents cheaper than regular here.

Old 07-06-08, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Justin...
It may be cheaper, but you need to look at what your mileage does, buddy.

Just saw an article about E85 and gas mileage in general. Some car they tested could run on either regular or premium, but the mileage with premium was so much better it offset the difference in cost. I've heard the same with E85. If yer doing it to be more "green", then its kind of a different story.

I've seen many posts here and elsewhere that the mileage and power decrease with E85 don't make up for the lesser cost.

Just my $.02

BTW this may work for you...it needs the whole VIN though.
I don't know what info it gives.

http://jeep.avtograd.ru/VIN/vin_en.asp

Old 07-06-08, 10:59 AM
I've seen many posts here and elsewhere that the mileage and power decrease with E85 don't make up for the lesser cost.

Absolutely true.......

Back in the day, The "Street Racers" used to swear by alcohol, until they figured out that it EATS EVERYTHING IN SIGHT. Alcohol readily absorbs water, and rots just about anything it comes in contact with.......

As for the lifetime warranty, It only covers powertrain.......not rotted damaged or otherwise neglected or expendable items caused by wear and tear. And there are several stipulations to the warranty....Check carefully with your dealer......It may get me "FIRED"-, But it is actually more HYPE than it is good....

"N" is a 4.7l Magnum V8......But as I mentioned, I believe they are all compatible without a specific "Designation"

Actually Cut and DRY.....In the back of your Owners manual is a Toll Free # for DAIMLER CHRYSLER USA......I suggest you go over the dealers Head , So to speak, And get the Info direct from Mother Mopar.If indeed a discrepancy does exist..they will be able to smooth out the situation with your purchasing Dealer.

Old 07-06-08, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
UncD
Ahh but the sound and smell of those alky funny cars and rails was so nice...hmmm, wait, not on the street I guess.

Not as nice as nitro, of course

Old 07-06-08, 11:31 AM
Actually there was a product years ago , that you poured into the fuel cell , that would add a pleasant SCENT to Alcohol or Nitro methane exhaust fumes.......Vanilla , wild cherry and root beer......And it did actually work....

Old 07-06-08, 11:41 AM
J
Unclediezel, I think I will call that number. Thanks for the advice!

Gunguy45, I consider myself fairly well educated when it comes to e85...That's not to say that we all know everything there is to know! I (just like anyone else) am always open to new information.

But...I do know what my mileage is with and without e85. And absolutely there is an MPG drop; mine is about 8 to 18% depending on driving conditions. So, as long as the fuel I pump is 18% less expensive then petro, than (by my math) it's less expensive to fill the car with e85. Now, on to horsepower: I've experienced a horsepower increase with my car. This is the second e85 propelled vehicle I've driven with the same result.

Finally, and maybe I'm an old 31 year old dinosaur here, but I like the fact that my money is staying in the country when I fill up with e85. There are plants going on-line that are making e85 from new types of sources like wood too, so that will remove corn from the equation. Either way, my $$ stays here.

Old 07-06-08, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
Justin...wasn't criticizing at all....no prob. Sounds like you've done the research...good luck with the dealer if necessary.

Old 07-06-08, 02:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The next crisis will be when we are in a major drought or there's not enough crops to make ethanol......

Old 07-06-08, 06:30 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The part of E-85 that frosts my cake is that the government ( you / me ) is subsidizing it to the tune of fifty plus cents a gallon.

Your gain is my pain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: