SES Light on, off, on, off...

Old 07-08-08, 03:10 PM
SES Light on, off, on, off...

2003 Nissan Altima, 119,000+ miles

SES light keeps going on then off, on then off. This happens about every month or 2 months. Had it checked out by my mechanic when I got my oil change and checked the code and check out the part but said it's fine. He had this look on his face ----->>> He just reset it and said to keep my eyes and ears open and we'll just have to watch for it. Next week after that it came on and the day after it, it went off and hasn't turned back on again.

Is it possible that the SES light mechanics stuff could just be defective or something?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-08, 03:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There should be codes stored if the SES light is on. Next time it comes on, bring it by a Autozone and get the codes read. Do you remember what code came up? Alot of old school mechanics are afraid of technology, so they will avoid it like the plague.

If I were to guess, a O2 sensor or MAF sensor if you got the 3.5L

Old 07-08-08, 03:33 PM
Actually, it all started back in Nov. of last year. Same as this thread I did:

I actually did go to AutoZone once:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...+nissan+altima

P0302
Misfire in cylinder #2

(He read me the code) Then my face was like this:

Quite honest it seems I feel/hear something when I start the car. LIke it gonna die or wants to so I started revving it up (pushing the gas petal some)-is that how you say it? Anyway, I do that just so the light won't come back on again...and it doesn't and the feel/sound of it wanting to die stops. Doesn't happen during actual driving.

However...he said he checked the "possibilities" and everything's fine.

BTW: On that old thread that I never finished posting to, I ended up buying a coil and replaced it. That was about it. I've been fine since then. What is that...like almost 8 months ago?

Oh yeah..I don't have the 3.5L. I wouldn't dare pay that much. I got the cheapy weepy one.

Old 07-08-08, 03:55 PM
"Flashing" check engine light is a warning sign of ---"A misfire severe enough to cause catastrophic Catalyst damage"

Coil probably fixed it....

Old 07-08-08, 03:59 PM
It wasn't "flashing" so I guess I don't have to worry about that? I meant it was on and held on all day and then just went off and never came back on... or is that considered "flashing"?

Old 07-08-08, 04:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Gotta be a fuel injector then. Swap the #2 injector with another, and if the code changes, it's the injector, or put some fuel injector cleaner in there and see if that helps. You don't have a flashing SES.

Whoops, just read through the post again, didn't see that it was not fixed.

Search this Thread