Old 07-10-08, 09:12 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
79 Camaro newly rebuilt 350 and now trans won't work

1979 Camaro
engine: 350
Trans: Turbo 350

I started up my newly rebuilt 350 yesterday for the first time. The motor ran great during the break-in period for the flat tappet cam. When I put the car in gear I got no response from the transmission. No power to the wheels at all. Before the startup I had replaced the filter and gasket and filled the tranny with new fluid. Is it a problem with the torque converter? or could there be something else? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Old 07-10-08, 09:54 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
If everything was working before you serviced the transmission and all the linkages were left in place, I would give the transmission a few minutes of running time. Make sure the fluid level is up. If still no response, I would pull the pan and double check the filter and its mounting.

There isn't any reason for the torque converter to suddenly start acting up.

Old 07-10-08, 02:38 PM
W
were the torque converter bolts re installed when the engine was put back in? does the shifter have the same feel as before enging removal? Possible the linkage got unhooked while the enging was being removed or installed.

Old 07-10-08, 02:55 PM
R
start it and go thru the gears leaving it in each gear for 60 seconds do this down and up

Old 07-10-08, 03:08 PM
were the torque converter bolts re installed when the engine was put back in?
Been There , done That.....And it was even more embarrassing the second time....

The filters can sometimes be "Knocked Loose" by reinstalling the pan.

Did you ever take the converter out of the Trans???? It may not be fully engaged with the Oil pump. or stationary shafts.

Old 07-11-08, 03:02 PM
J
Thanks

So I wasn't thinking clearly. I never checked the fluid level after I started the engine. After reading marbobj's post it dawned on me that I should make sure there was fluid. When I checked there wasn't any fluid on the dipstick, I ended up putting 2 more quarts, which brought it up to the proper level. After adding the fluid the tranny started working right away. I must have been to excited with the new motor to be thinking right. I am also somewhat of a pessimist and instantly was thinking something serious was the issue not the simple stuff. Thanks to all that replied I appreciate the comments.

Thanks again,

Jon

Old 07-11-08, 05:15 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
I've done the same thing.... probably a dozen times . Good to hear you got it going.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: