Help! 2000 Dodge Caravan

Old 07-11-08, 09:56 AM
Cool Help! 2000 Dodge Caravan

The van will start and run until I take my foot off of the accelerator. This was all of a sudden... was running fine yesterday. I had the fuel pump replaced last year... could it be bad already?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-08, 12:22 PM
You have my condolences. I know exactly how you feel. Had a 2001 Grand Caravan that did the same thing, all within about a 5 week window.

First time, replaced the fuel pump. 2nd, 3rd, 4th time same thing happened - got towed back to dealership & replaced the fuel pump. 3rd & 4th time stranded one of their service techs while out on a test run. Service manager finally got frustrated enough to get a brand new fuel pump [#5] from OEM supplier. 5th one worked fine. You should only have to pay for first replacement. My dealership picked up rental cars each time.

Later found out that a TSB had been written about a run of bad fuel pumps. Take your the van back to your dealership if you have not been there since. I'm not sure if you went to an independent garage that they would honor whatever warranty the fuel pump had in the first place. Unfortunately, you may have to go through several pumps to find one that works.

Old 07-11-08, 12:33 PM
Group Moderator
There are a number of other items that could produce those symptoms, so first thing to do would be to get, or have done, an actual pressure test to see what the pump is putting out at the moment the engine dies. This is a fairly simple and straight forward procedure. I wouldn't be paying for a fuel pump replacement unless I was shown the low pressure reading on the guage.

Old 07-11-08, 03:03 PM
TSB
Tsb --Technical service bulletin...Is By no means an express or implied WARRANTY of any kind...It is a group of Known problems, that are used as "Tech Tips" for the mechanics. And VERY VERY rarely are they performed at NO CHARGE. Even the Brand new Chrysler pumps only come with 6 month 6000 mile warranty.

Handygirl.....2 questions....Does the truck achieve and maintain highway speeds if you keep your foot on it?....AND

4 or 6 cylinder? ....2.4 litre , 3.3 litre , or 3.8 litre....?

Old 07-11-08, 04:11 PM
Its a 2.4L 4 cylinder minivan... About the highway speeds... I don't know... can't get it out of the driveway.. as soon as I go to hit the brake it dies... so I just coast it back down the driveway and park it!!

Old 07-11-08, 04:27 PM
A huge thank you to all!!

I did read the TSB's about the fuel pumps... bummer... does anyone know if low oil would cause this problem? I checked the oil also and the level was low... so I added 2 qts. Now it starts and stays running... haven't taken it down the road yet. (I was busy fixing my sons boat!) I will take it out in a bit to see if it stays running.. would just hate if it dies and then I have to pay for towing!!

Old 07-15-08, 08:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
you more than likely have a stuck idle air control motor or iac. its a part of your engine that allows the engine to get air only at an idle and it adjusts it acorcding to temperature, atmospheric pressure etc. they tend to get clogged at stuck closed often causing that problem.

the best way to do a quick self diag of this is when you first start your car without touching the accelerator the rpm should rise for about 1 to 2 sec. then drop down to somewhere between 750-1000. if this doesn't happen or if it falls on its face and stalls but yet runs okay when giving it gas then thats most definately what ya need. good luck.

Old 07-16-08, 12:30 PM
I've got a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Van that sounds like it started out with the same prob. that your Caravan has.
My prob. is intermittent.
Actually the van is my boyfriends, but anyway.....
This is what my boyfriend says he does.
He says that he can tell if his van is gonna act up when he starts it by the idle.
Low idle usually is the indicator that when he tries to get going the van is gonna die.
He says that when this happens he starts the van in neutral and just barely gives it a little gas while starting.
Then since it is in neutral already he can put it into drive without having to take his foot off of the accelerator.
When I drive it, once I finally get it going I get out onto our sideroad here (straight with no stops for at least 1/4 - 1/2 mile) and give it a run up and down the road before attempting to go out onto the busy street.
This problem has gone on for a little while now, since then the check engine light has came on and now on occasion there is intermittent backfiring.
A scan tool was used and the trouble code referred to the IAC motor circuits.