2002 Chevy Venture

Old 07-11-08, 02:53 PM
2002 Chevy Venture

When I start a cold engine, it runs rough for about 30 seconds and then always smooths out and runs fine. The computer code says Number 1 misfire. No kidding! Does anyone have and suggestions as to the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-08, 03:12 PM
Im guessing your code is PO 301......?

Look carefully at your ignition wires. A " Spray Bottle" directed at the passenger side back corner of the engine will likely reveal a bad wire. If you look under the hood first start of the day, look and listen for "SPARK -ARC".....

Any engine work done recently???...Battery been disconnected , or dead lately? Its rare , but sometimes the PCM can lose its "SYNC", and fire opposing cylinders at the wrong times...which will produce a Misfire code in either #1 or #6...( If you look at the coil pack, you will notice 1 +6 are paired on the same coil).

Old 07-12-08, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the comments unclediezel.

Autozone read the code and all they told me was number 1 cylinder misfire.

I assume the spray bottle is to mist water on the spark plug wires to see if there is an external spark jump from the wire to ground, but I figure that would have to be in the dark in order to see it very well. Not sure if I could hear or discern "spark-arc" over the engine noise.

I did have the thermostat replaced recently, but can't imagine what that would have to do with the misfire.

I get 87 meanings for PCM on Google including "please call me" so not sure what you mean.

The 6 year old van has 101,000 miles on it so I figure it is time for new wires and plugs minimum. I think I will scrub the floor mats too.

Old 07-12-08, 02:38 PM
I think I will scrub the floor mats too.

PCM....Powertrain control Module.....Engine computer...

Old 07-17-08, 09:54 AM
A neighbor (certified master technician - ASE certified) thinks it could be a leaking fuel injector that overnight it leaks fuel into the cylinder causing the misfire until it eventually clears up. He says a bad plug or wire usually won't clear up. He is going to look at it next week.

Old 07-18-08, 05:05 PM
Possibility, but usually accompanied by a hard start , first start of the day.

If the fuel were to leak into a cylinder, it would also depressurize the fuel rail, requiring excessive cranking time to re-pressurize the fuel.

Old 07-24-08, 08:48 AM
It has been determined that coolant is leaking into the cylinder overnight.

Going to pull the top off and rebuild it.

Old 09-01-08, 12:30 PM
New head gaskets, trued heads, ground valves & valve seats, new valve stem seals, new intake manifold gaskets, new spark plugs, fixed exhaust manifold leak, new oil, new throttle position sensor...$1250. Runs like new.

And I also scrubbed the floor mats.