98 Blazer Security Light Passlock failure

Old 07-11-08, 08:43 PM
98 Blazer Security Light Passlock failure

I have a 98 Chevy Blazer (90k mi) that would not start a few months ago. The security system (Passlock) would shut down fuel immediately after a start. GM Service Bulletin 01-08-56-001 was used to repair the wiring connector for the theft deterent system. A local shop struggled for a while but found this bulletin and repaired and reset system successfully.

Three months later the security lamp turned on while driving but the truck continued to start. A few days later I got a similar failure (flashing security lamp after failed start). I tried waiting to clear the system but I ended up having it towed to a GM dealership. Of course when the vehicle arrived it started and they could not pinpoint the problem. The lamp turned on as I was leaving the dealership therefore I had the scanner read a new code (DTC B2960 regarding the security sensor). The tech's best guess was the passlock sensor was the problem but he could not say for sure (about $400 to replace so we agreed it wasn't worth the $$).

Two days after the dealership and a lighter wallet I had the same security problem (shut down immediately after start). I used a relearn procedure for the BCM that I read about (attempt start, leave ignition on until blinking lamp clears in 10 min, turn off ignition, and repeat 3 times.... 30+ min process). This actually worked.

My questions:
1) Can the security Passlock system be bypassed? I've heard it cannot and GM dealer said this was not possible. However, I read online of some people doing this successfully. Is a Passlock bypass costly to do (if possible), and are you setting yourself up for some other problem. I don't need this worthless security system that has cost me cash, time, jeopardized my job, ticked off my wife, and just **** me off.

2) Does anyone know if the manufacturer (GM) is addressing this problem? The GM dealership can only guess at the source of the problem. Why can't GM work on a solution package to override the piece of crap Passlock system? I don't know where to go for an answer.

My vehicle runs for now, but I know I will likely have another Passlock problem in the future and God only knows where I'll be when this happens. Any insight or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-08, 12:32 AM
I have a 2000 olds alero that has the passlock on it. The passlock system failed and the car would not start. I went through the re-learn procedure and the car started. The security light never cleared, but I haven't had any problems with passlock since. I have heard that if you replace the lock-ignition cylinder the problem will be fixed for a little while. It isn't worth the time or effort for me to fix it. Good luck

Old 07-12-08, 09:19 AM
Jdawg, how long has it been since you re-learned your system. It sounds like this was a long-term solution for you. I was planning on transferring my vehicle to a family member in a few months. I'll have to wait and see if this works for me, otherwise I'll have to figure out some other solution before giving it to family.

Search this Thread